All Nighter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rnlincourt

Hearth Supporter
Dec 31, 2009
Western MA
Along with my house came a woodstove in the basement which was rendered useless because by MA code you can't flu a woodstove and a furnace out of the same chimney.
Havinging an unheated garage I had a couple of friends help me take that bad boy out to it and will be hooked up soon. I grew up with a large cast iron stove that we used for main heat in our addition but have never used a smaller front load unit.
I don't know much about the "All Nighter" and am wondering if anyone has any experience or tips for me. It will be used mainly on Saturdays or at most a few days in a row during vacations. Thanks for the help.

They can use the same chimney, just not the same flue. Did you check code to see if the woodstove is allowed in a garage?

Please don't beat me over the head for asking this. Besides code and insurance and family safety ect, what is the actual reason or problem with using the same flue. Is it danger of back up of CO? Is it possible to use the same flue but only one at a time. Basically disconect one while using the other.

Some folks will swap out the flues between a wood stove and an oil appliance and use the same chimney flue. The danger could be that with both appliances running at the same time, the chimney cant move the volume of air required to vent 2 appliances. The other thing that could happen, is the wood stove can plug up the chimney with creosote and when the oil kicks on...well you can guess the rest. Theres been some discussion on these forums in regards to this. That little search box is a great way to find info and can save asking a question sometimes

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/37786/

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/36045/

There's two to get you started

As far as overnighters.. once a hot bed of coals is established, fill her to the top. Bigger splits or rounds are my choice because they will burn longer. Let the load take light then shut the damper down low. The size of your firebox will also determine how much wood you can shove in there. The more wood, the longer the burn obviously. Make sure the garage is already warmed up because once you shut the air down the stove will burn slow and cool down a bit over night. If the stove is large enough, there should be coals in the morning to through some splits on.

LLigetfa said:
They can use the same chimney, just not the same flue. Did you check code to see if the woodstove is allowed in a garage?

I didn't check code to see if I could use it in my garage. Does it matter if it's a detached garage?

Detached increases your odds for sure but the LEO and your insurance will have the last word.

I use to have an All Nighter at my first house. It was on the small side. It was an ok stove but it did not burn all night. It heated the room it was in pretty well though. It should heat your garage.

logger said:
As far as overnighters.. once a hot bed of coals is established, fill her to the top. Bigger splits or rounds are my choice because they will burn longer. Let the load take light then shut the damper down low. The size of your firebox will also determine how much wood you can shove in there. The more wood, the longer the burn obviously. Make sure the garage is already warmed up because once you shut the air down the stove will burn slow and cool down a bit over night. If the stove is large enough, there should be coals in the morning to through some splits on.

Ooops.. didn't realize this was a brand name. My bad.

logger said:
logger said:

Ooops.. didn't realize this was a brand name. My bad.

Still a good tip though and I appreciate you taking the time to reply!

BandSawyer said:
I use to have an All Nighter at my first house. It was on the small side. It was an ok stove but it did not burn all night. It heated the room it was in pretty well though. It should heat your garage.

Yeah that's all I am relly looking to get out of it. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.