All ready for old man winter.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bushfire

Burning Hunk
Hearth Supporter
Nov 19, 2005
Kennett Square, PA
Woodshed is loaded and I've got at least another years worth sitting in the sun (and it has been for the last year). I've got another's years worth sitting on the driveway awaiting splitting, so I'm at least two years ahead. Would like to be three, but it's rare to get oak around here (or at least it has been for me) so two is probably enough - most of what I stacked this weekend into the wood shed was 15-18% based on random checks on fresh splits.

Attachments

• IMG_9703.JPG
    IMG_9703.JPG
    249.3 KB · Views: 558
  • IMG_9714.JPG
    IMG_9714.JPG
    373.7 KB · Views: 517
That is my goal but i am just starting. I have long way to go. LOL LOL

That is my goal but i am just starting. I have long way to go. LOL LOL

We all start at some point. You'll get there. I had to buy wood for the first two years, but now into my third year at this property and I have scrounged wood that's seasoned two years to burn.

i think you need a bigger shed :)

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Like money in the bank. ;)

i think you need a bigger shed :)

I actually wish I had made it a few feet wider. It's 12x8 with a roof that goes from about 7 feet at the front to about four feet in the back, so fully loaded it holds around 4 cord, which has been more than I've needed the past two winters, but it would be nice to stack it differently (N/S as opposed to E/W) so I can work to the back rows and use that up without having to pull it all out and restack it in front.

Nice shed. Very satisfactory knowing you've got years in the bank.

Reactions: Bushfire
Good work!
We started in winter and stayed a month to only days ahead and the feeling didn't
inspire much confidence. I continued splitting and stacking when the weather warmed
and never stopped as if it were January with no stock. 2 yrs ahead now and feels great !! Hope to double
that by the end of next summer and stay at 3-4 years.
I'm learning quite a bit from you veterans of the stove. Thanks for sharing all you do.

Had some chimney repairs done today, so figured I'd get a birds eye view of the wood area. The empty space to the right of the wood shed will receive the splits from the wood that's currently sat in my driveway for 2+ years from now.

Attachments

• IMG_9755.JPG
    IMG_9755.JPG
    370 KB · Views: 258
Had some chimney repairs done today, so figured I'd get a birds eye view of the wood area. The empty space to the right of the wood shed will receive the splits from the wood that's currently sat in my driveway for 2+ years from now.
Very nice setup and quite the pile(s)!

What's the ground cover on the left side (by the sheds) compared to the grass? Just wood chips? Looks good.

Very nice setup and quite the pile(s)!

What's the ground cover on the left side (by the sheds) compared to the grass? Just wood chips? Looks good.

Thanks! Yep, just wood chips. I just got a free load a couple of weeks ago (from chip drop) and freshened up the area. I'm standing on an addition we added during the summer, which is why some of the grass is being redone along the edge between the chips and lawn in that area.

What was sitting on the driveway is now stacked and I'm all cleaned up with nothing waiting to be cut or split (my wife is happy). The newly split and stacked wood are the three rows against the fence on the right (it sort of looks like two in this panorama) and the last row to the left, as well as a few added sections on the end of a couple of rows (I keep a map drawn up so I know where everything is and it's vintage and general species composition). I think I've finally hit the holy grail of three years ahead, although most of what I scrounge is likely to be ready after two (very little oak in here :-( )

15326532_10207791100522180_3041132281551414319_n.jpg

Love it, nice and neat

Reactions: Bushfire
Someday I will post a picture of my neat firewood area. Never that clean - always bark and junk lying around.

Reactions: redyute
I find the cleaner I keep it the more happy the wifey is. During this time of year I begin cutting, but normally can't process down by the stacks (we live on top of a hill, stack at the bottom) cause it's too wet to get the truck and trailer down there. I stack rounds off to the side of the prop, kind of messy and its in the front, until it's frozen or dry enough to process below. She hated it till I used the cinder block/landscape timber stacking method to house the rounds temporarily. Much more tidy. Drying stacks below are on pallet runs. Wood processing is a messy pursuit, sometimes it stays that way for a while, but always worth it, she and I both agree on that.
Nice stacks Bushfire!

Status
Not open for further replies.