Almost done stacking wood for the year!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I think I'll be done by the end of tomorrow. I added half a cord over what I gathered last year.

Keep stacking. You are thinking 2 years ahead right?

Since mid April, we are at about 11 (17x14.5x6) cords split and stacked on top of next years wood. We (fathers house and mine) are about 2+ years ahead with no signs of stopping until some time this summer. Keep going if you have the room and try and space the stacks out so that each year you can replenish the wood that you will have used that past winter. Once you are a few years ahead, the amount will slow down to just one year but in reality it should be still a few years in the future.
It is SO MUCH better when you only have to cut when you feel like it instead of busting your hump during bad weather because you know you have to get it done.
Chad

I agree 100% with Chad. If you have the room go for 2 or 3 years ahead. I hate running out of dry wood!

I'm thinking I'm a half year ahead. I probably have the room, but still want to have a bit of grass back there. I would have collected a bit more but the truck needed some work and was down for a good while. Now it's summer and fishing time.

But the truck had it's engine pulled and the oil pump, timing chain, gaskets, injecter orings, went over the brakes. (Thanks to neighbor who let me use his garage.) On top of last year's new transmission it runs like new. Later this summer I'm going to have somebody do my control arm bushings and ball joints. The bushings are from late 91 and are either well worn or missing. The boots over the ball joints are leaking some grease. I could do the work, but the alignment is something I am sure is easier for a shop to do.

Matt and tired of truck maintenance for a while.

EatenByLimestone said:
I'm thinking I'm a half year ahead. I probably have the room, but still want to have a bit of grass back there. I would have collected a bit more but the truck needed some work and was down for a good while. Now it's summer and fishing time.

But the truck had it's engine pulled and the oil pump, timing chain, gaskets, injecter orings, went over the brakes. (Thanks to neighbor who let me use his garage.) On top of last year's new transmission it runs like new. Later this summer I'm going to have somebody do my control arm bushings and ball joints. The bushings are from late 91 and are either well worn or missing. The boots over the ball joints are leaking some grease. I could do the work, but the alignment is something I am sure is easier for a shop to do.

Matt and tired of truck maintenance for a while.

Good luck with your truck work Matt. No fun to have to repair a vehicle all the time. I have a Ford Ranger which is on its third transmission in three years. Have put it in low duty work which seems to be what it can handle and maybe 1000 miles per year. The extended cab door latches rusted up and couldn't be opened so they too were replaced. It is a 2001 with about 128,000 miles on it. Never again. :)

Not to affront anyone, just my experiences and yours may be different.

I've got five full cords stacked at the house, and maybe half a cord more to split and stack.
80% of the split wood from my woodlot has been moved to the house. I have more room for
wood, but the existing woodpiles have now become a new landmark in the neighborhood for
people giving directions. :) I need to plant some fast growing pine trees in a row at the front
of the house to shield the rows of wood somewhat.

My summer and fall project will be to restock the woodlot with split wood. I believe people now
think I'm a bit nuts, but I'll be crazy warm this winter.

Well, I have this winter's wood split and stacked (about five cord, should be more than enough). However, we are going to get a shleter erected (one of the $795 carports) and I have to move and restack everything! So, no, I'm not done for this year!

Once we get the shelter up, I'll start working on next year's wood. No sense cutting it and dumping it on the ground. I want to get at least a year ahead, thanks to the advice and wisdom I've gotten from the group here. Besides, that, I'm getting older and fgure I should get at least a couple of years ahead of the game while I still can.

Ken

I've barely started. Probably 3 cords stacked. Just had a woodshed built that'll hold 8 cords, still needs stain & paint before I can start loading it up. Got about 9 cords in a heap in the sun, in various conditions of "splittedness". LOTS of work to do, but right now we're completely occupied by moving out of our house into our guest quarters to get out of the way of some major renovations. The wood just has to wait, but it's seasoning nicely while I'm busy with other things. Rick

openat6 said:
where do u get your wood.....

You'll get a lot of different answers to this question. I don't own a bunch of acreage with harvestable firewood growing on it (lots of other folks do). I don't get Forest Service permits and go out and fell my own trees, limb, buck, and split and stack my own green wood (lots of other folks do). I've never bought a truckload of logs that need bucking & splitting (lots of other folks do). I'm turning 60 in December, and although I'm in overall pretty good health, my strength & endurance aren't anything like they once were, and I'm at a point in my life where I've really no choice but to learn, understand, and accept my limitations. Besides, I have lots of other stuff to do. I buy wood from local suppliers...usually cut and delivered, either split or in rounds. I do have a pickup & a trailer, and will go get it if it's a good deal. Mostly the wood I buy has already been cut for a while, and is pretty dry. I (and my wife) do a lot of splitting and stacking. I've found my trusted sources for wood through talking with friends, looking in the paper, and looking at craigslist on the Internet. I've only been disappointed once with a load of wood...so that guy's off my list. Rick

lol built my platform for wood thenrealize for what i wanted couldn't handle the weight... after 4 cds were on it... so today i moved 4cds with some friends so i could reinforce my platform as it needs to hold from 5-7cords so if it was struggling with close to 4 better to do it now .....so i gotts stack all over plus should be getting some more wood ...geez

iceman said:
lol built my platform for wood thenrealize for what i wanted couldn't handle the weight...

Yeah, iceman, depending on the species and the moisture content, a cord of wood can weigh upward of two tons. Beware some dude who says he's gonna sell you a cord and drives up in a half-ton. When we built our new woodshed, I estimated we'd need to make it strong enough underneath to handle 300 lbs/sq. ft., so we did. It's BOPS (beyond old pallet strength). Rick

Wow, I have 2 cords cut and split/stacked and need to get off my butt to do 4 more for winter. Unfortunately no oak so it should be ready, plus I am stacking in direct sunlight now vs shade. After having knee surgery last year I went from being a year ahead to worrying like heck!!!

burntime said:
...After having knee surgery last year I went from being a year ahead to worrying like heck!!!

Whatever you do, burntime, take good care of that knee...and the rest of yourself, as well. Rick

I have 2.5 cords ready to go for next season.Not planning on burning 24/7 at this time!Weekends,days off from work!and after work 4pm to bed time will be the burning times.Building a wood shelter soon and stocking that with at least 2 cords.When all is done!i will have 4+ cords stored for a season of burning.

I am way behind and trying to catch up. I do have a few cords of oak that should be ready though I have to move it - plenty of ash to split still but that should be fine - and some misc maple that is already cut and aged for 2 yrs but not split so seasoning should be ok. Then move on to split the new stuff to get a leg up on next yr.

fossil said:
iceman said:
lol built my platform for wood thenrealize for what i wanted couldn't handle the weight...

Yeah, iceman, depending on the species and the moisture content, a cord of wood can weigh upward of two tons. Beware some dude who says he's gonna sell you a cord and drives up in a half-ton. When we built our new woodshed, I estimated we'd need to make it strong enough underneath to handle 300 lbs/sq. ft., so we did. It's BOPS (beyond old pallet strength). Rick

oh geez i better start again how did u figure 300lbs per sq ft

So sick of stacking!!!!!!!

Attachments

• mickey (60).jpg
    mickey (60).jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 500
Yeah tell mea bout it! I have already stacked pallets the lenght of the fence on the right. 50 feet maybe. Double rows- 6 ft high. And there is plenty more to stack!

I didn't get squat done today with firewood. This morning was taken up with lawn maintenance, then I had to go get dog food, etc. When I finally started on the way home the rain began.

Rain really makes the garden take off though...

Matt

iceman said:
...oh geez i better start again how did u figure 300lbs per sq ft

Well, there's a generous factor of safety built in, but my woodshed has 144 sq. ft. of floor area, and I can stack 7+ feet high in there...so I can put 144x7=1008 cubic feet. 1008/128 cu.ft. per cord=7.875, or 7 7/8 cords. At 40 lbs/cubic foot, a cord of wood weighs 5120 lbs (of course, a cord never weighs quite that much, because of air space & moisture content, etc.), but that could be 40,320 lbs of wood (potentially) in my shed. 40,320 lbs/144 sq. ft.=280lbs/sq.ft. So I rounded up to 300. It'll likely never see that load, but I'm an engineer, so I like factors of safety. 200 would probably work just fine. Rick

fossil said:
It'll likely never see that load, but I'm an engineer, so I like factors of safety. 200 would probably work just fine. Rick

I thought engineers thought this way: if a 1/4" bolt will handle the load (with safety factor), 3/8" will be better, so let's use a 1/2" bolt. We must have learned engineering at different places, LOL :)

Ken

Ken45 said:
fossil said:
It'll likely never see that load, but I'm an engineer, so I like factors of safety. 200 would probably work just fine. Rick

I thought engineers thought this way: if a 1/4" bolt will handle the load (with safety factor), 3/8" will be better, so let's use a 1/2" bolt. We must have learned engineering at different places, LOL :)

Ken

Well, you know, Ken...there's engineering and then there's Engineering. I s'pose if I were working on the Space Shuttle I'd be a bit more thorough. If I'm building a woodshed by the seat of my pants, I'll probably tend to go 3/4" and be done with it. :lol: Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.