Almost finished, few questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob711

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2017
Long Island, ny
F186AB6F-954A-441A-B03E-82EBFE2B2AFA.jpeg AF9FFD4A-B8BD-4353-AA6D-99141C012763.jpeg
my new to me 1983 vc intrepid 1 is not yet completely installed, but close.
6” liner went down no problem. The 6” I’d call it coupling, that fits inside the liner and inside stove was a sloppy fit inside stove. Worked out as I had to cut a little bit of coupling on an angle in order to meet up nicely. I taped off stove and coupling and Filled small gap with Rutland furnace cement.
Checked with light, looks good , I ran it Thursday nigh with small fire. Performed well, although it was warm 50s. Something I haven’t read but never searched. NEW LINERS SMOKE!!!
Top is done! Capped covered rock wool in. Friday night, time to let this run, well I’m sitting on floor watching with flashlight. I start to see wiffs of smoke, crap, where’s it coming from and how will I get it out of house since chimney is lined and capped. Hey, I know that new motor smell?! House was cloudy. Haha. I let it cool down then sorta blast it let it smoke, cool, repeat til no smoke. Had all doors and windows open.
I’m working on block off plate. Should plate be in contact with liner? I’m concerned about expansion rates and don’t want the plate to eventually be cut. I will have rock wool up there too, most likely contacting liner.
It’s raining hard. I have a drip coming through fireplace, it’s coming off the top of the steel lentil/ flue/angles smoke back to flue piece. This seems like a pointing/flashing issue. I’m Not overly concerned, I realize over time this will cause problems but we may do big remodel. Should I be concerned?
So this giant post.
1. Can liner contact block off plate?
2. Is a drip inside fire place concerning?
Thanks.
Pic with liner makes me laugh. I had to be done for the evening but we were expecting rain.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Yes
2. Yes

1.yes
2.yes