Almost had a serious accident

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kool_hand_Looke

Feeling the Heat
Dec 8, 2013
Illinois
It was serious enough however.

I was cutting a tree that blewt over and took some 5-6" diameter trees down with it. The branches of the large oak were pinned on the ground. I cut a section of the tree and was pushing it off a small tree it had uprooted to make sure there wasnt any pressure on it standing out of the line of fire-or so I though. I wasnt paying attention to a limb on the ground side that hadnt snapped. I wasnt watching since I didnt notice it. Next thing I knew I was laying on the ground with my hat about 20 feet away and my glasses about 10 feet away feeling like I was going to vomit...and a splitting headache.

It smacked me right on the temple/ear.

Safety safety safety.

You can't be too careful in a situation like that; Lotta forces at work.... Hope you're OK, and glad it wasn't any worse. :oops:

I stood there and looked and studied that thing for 30 minutes too. Probably more to get a better vantage point. It jerked me back down to Earth. I used to have a policy to delimb everything. Looks like Ill be issuing a new operating procedure.

Sorry to hear that happened. If you lost consciousness you ought to get checked out. Hope you're OK.

I don't the idea of being hit in the head, and feel like you're about to vomit.....to me, not a good sign. Had a friend who had a branch hit him in the side of the head....his ear was hanging off his head in 5 pieces, pretty much stopped the work for the day for all of us.

I recently tackled my first mess of blown-down trees. My logging helmet doesn't feel silly anymore.

Reactions: CenterTree
Last year my dad was in the neighbor's side yard cutting a tree that blew over from "sandy" the tree was an oak that up rooted, he started at the top of the tree (only had a 16" bar, and didn't know how far down he would make it before the rounds became to big for the saw to cut through) anyway, he got to a certain critical weight area, as he cut through a round, enough weight was released from the tree and the root ball actually went back into the hole causing the tree to stand up, according to him about 15 ft into the air, pretty fast. He said it was a very close call since he wasn't prepared for the possibility of the tree moving in that direction. He said he learned a good lesson, and for me to be careful, and watch out when working in the woods, down tree's don't just move left and right, they can also move straight up.

Jeez, Looke sorry that happened to you; I hope that you are okay. That was bad enough but could've been a LOT worse. Take it easy and like these guys say get checked out if you don't feel right....

Last year my dad was in the neighbor's side yard cutting a tree that blew over from "sandy" the tree was an oak that up rooted, he started at the top of the tree (only had a 16" bar, and didn't know how far down he would make it before the rounds became to big for the saw to cut through) anyway, he got to a certain critical weight area, as he cut through a round, enough weight was released from the tree and the root ball actually went back into the hole causing the tree to stand up, according to him about 15 ft into the air, pretty fast. He said it was a very close call since he wasn't prepared for the possibility of the tree moving in that direction. He said he learned a good lesson, and for me to be careful, and watch out when working in the woods, down tree's don't just move left and right, they can also move straight up.

I had 6-8 huge pine trees (that sandy brought down)that stood straight up after releasing the appropriate amount of weight off the trunk. I assumed it was going to happen and it did, time after time. One was so big the ground shook when it replanted its self.

If you felt like vomiting you may have a concussion, you may want to go to a doctor, play it by ear but you have to be careful with concussions.

Reactions: ailanthus

I was cutting a tree that blewt over and took some 5-6" diameter trees down with it. The branches of the large oak were pinned on the ground. I cut a section of the tree and was pushing it off a small tree it had uprooted to make sure there wasnt any pressure on it standing out of the line of fire-or so I though. I wasnt paying attention to a limb on the ground side that hadnt snapped. I wasnt watching since I didnt notice it. Next thing I knew I was laying on the ground with my hat about 20 feet away and my glasses about 10 feet away feeling like I was going to vomit...and a splitting headache.

Safety safety safety.

We are only mere flesh and blood going up against those things. I don't have the courage to fell anything big, and it's impossible to predict all the crazy possibilities. You already know those are concussion type symptoms. I think you've probably already read up on what to keep an eye out for.

Keep posting so we can evaluate your posts and when they stop making sense we'll tell you to get a checkup! _g;)

I had 6-8 huge pine trees (that sandy brought down)that stood straight up after releasing the appropriate amount of weight off the trunk. I assumed it was going to happen and it did, time after time. One was so big the ground shook when it replanted its self.

Same here...same storm, same trees - pines. Three of them fell from my yard and took out my neighbor's utility lines. We were dicing them up and each one pulled the same neat trick. Luckily, we were expecting it.

Actually - it wasn't my property yet. Sandy came on the date that we were supposed to close on the purchase of the house. The closing was postponed, however, because of the storm. So - I didn't own the property until a week later. But the sellers were an elderly couple; I was there to make sure the house wasn't damaged; and I had my chainsaw and truck (thought it was a good scrounging day). When I saw the trees down I felt I should help with the cleanup anyway. It sure got our relationship with the neighbors off to a good start.

Safety safety safety.

Ouch!! Sorry to hear about that one. I also have to agree with others that you very likely had a concussion. Nothing to mess with as even a couple days later some bad things can happen. Be aware!

Kenny, you are right about how fast that can happen. Now just imagine how one man felt when it happened to him then after shutting his saw off, we looked around for his two small children. Seems they had been playing away from where he was cutting but then decided that hole would be a fun place. I'll bet that man is still feeling the pain.

Thanks for the concern folks. I might go to Dr. Highly doubt it's a concussion. The vomit feeling was from the initial shock of it. Thinking something was seriously wrong. Like my eyeball hanging out. Never been hit that hard before. Even in all the fights I've been in (my drinking days) and several years of Taekwondo.

Backwoods, your right about that, I remember that happened in South Jersey a couple weeks after the storm. Its so sad. Kool_hand_Looke, take it easy and feel better, I am actually going to invest in a hard hat with a safety shield

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Not to scare you, but get checked out. Two symptoms of a concussion are headache and nausea.

Thanks for the concern folks. I might go to Dr. Highly doubt it's a concussion. The vomit feeling was from the initial shock of it. Thinking something was seriously wrong. Like my eyeball hanging out. Never been hit that hard before. Even in all the fights I've been in (my drinking days) and several years of Taekwondo.
They say in boxing it's the one you don't see coming that knocks you out. How's the head today?

Luke I'm really sorry to hear that that happened to you - I hope you feel better soon and have no lasting symptoms. Reading stories like these always remind me to think safety first even after sawing up hundreds of trees. And Dennis your story is why I do not want my kids anywhere near me while I'm cutting.

They say in boxing it's the one you don't see coming that knocks you out. How's the head today?

No headache. The side of my face is a bit sore. Like that part of Tommy Boy when Chris Farley is like "Not so much here-or here. But right in this area."

I'm not kidding. I didnt know what happened. I never saw it. I could see how that factors in in boxig for K.O. punches.

Now while your wife's worried about ya and treating ya all decent slip out and get those trailer rails we've been talking about! And if she has angst on them say it must be that bump on the ol' noggin and you don't recall buying them at the moment...lol take care over there! At safety meetings I've had at work they always called it potential energy. Something wound up or ready to let loose that can get ya!

Reactions: Kool_hand_Looke

Keep posting so we can evaluate your posts and when they stop making sense we'll tell you to get a checkup! _g;)

Then me thinks maybe there are a LOT of members on here that already have concussions.;lol;lol
---------------

Looke, glad it wasn't worse for ya. It is good for us all to read this stuf from time to time, just to recap how careful we need to be while cutting. You even evaluated the situ first and yet still ya got clamped.
It shows how much complexity there can be in certain situations.

Count your blessings and take some advil.:);)

Nasty hit to take. But I am gonna start getting worried if his posts start to make sense. ;lol

Yea I like getting it limbed. If a limb has pressure on it I get ride of all of it that I can. Just can't be to careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.