Almost ready with these stacks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lowroadacres

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 18, 2009
MB
After enduring a couple of winters of not having nearly enough seasoned wood at home I set a goal for myself to be more than ready by the time the heating season starts this fall.

I have had a couple of days with the stove going for short periods of time.

In another thread I have also talked of joining the NC-30 cult to replace our older small, non-epa stove which has never been adequate in its volume to heat our entire house.

As of late yesterday we were able to complete the move home of the majority of our firewood.

This morning I put the tape measure on the stacks and we are now over nine cords at home and ready to go at sub 20 percent moisture content.

I didn't think to take pictures of the smaller stack that runs in line with the larger one but closer to the house.

Our 9 cord count is conservative but I still won't stop gathering as long as I can access the woodlots within the 1 mile of our home.

The biggest challenge for me as fall unfolds is the daylight gets shorter but my work days at my paid gig don't get shorter.

Attachments

• Big wood stack.JPG
    Big wood stack.JPG
    337.7 KB · Views: 289
I think your ready this time. Good feeling isn't it?

Don't forget if you get that NC30 you'll probably be burning less wood also due to an increase in efficiency

Don't forget if you get that NC30 you'll probably be burning less wood also due to an increase in efficiency

Well.... The firebox on the NC-30 is at least double the size of the little stove we have been using. In theory we should use a similar amount of wood as in our best years of being prepared but get far more heat out of the wood we do use. We are not as concerned about the amount of wood as we are about the volume of heat able to be generated. We have made some other minor improvements to air circulation throughout the house as well to make better use of the BTU's we are able to generate.

As far as feeling good about the wood we have home? Absolutely.

The challenge right now is not being paranoid about not having enough as I know all too well from experience that if we don't have it home and dry soon it won't happen from buying or harvesting it ourselves come winter time. This is why I am creating some pressure for myself to get extra home so we are better safe than sorry.

Reactions: ThunderMedic
It feels good to be caught up! I've spent the last two years barely having enough at the end of the burn season. I'm determined to have this year's and next put up before winter.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yesterday with the 20 year old home for our Thanksgiving we knocked down, dragged out, cut, split and loaded out a little better than a cord.

No word of a lie..... We put the moisture meter on it and it tested as low as 11 percent, as high as 20 percent.

The wood is Ash that was flood killed 6 years ago and has been standing on dry ground mostly since then.

This was our first top up load to take us what we hope is clearly into 2018-19 heating season.

It took two loads. One of these days we are going to make wood sides for the box to both protect the rear window and to let us pile up more.

Don't worry, we didn't go on any public roads as this is wood we cut out of a private woodlot less than a half mile from our home.

There is years and years of this dead ash all within a mile and a quarter of our yard.

Attachments

• Truck lood wood 1.JPG
    Truck lood wood 1.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 144
  • Truck Load Wood 3.JPG
    Truck Load Wood 3.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 134
  • truck load wood 2.JPG
    truck load wood 2.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 130
Reactions: Lone_Gun