Already looking to upgrade!! :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

curber

Feeling the Heat
Oct 6, 2011
south east idaho
I'm looking for ideas on a new stove. I'm very happy with the old hurricane as far as heat output but I really want a stove that I can see the flame (glass door). So I need some ideas on what stove You fellers think would do me well. Just want to start researching and saving my pennies. Pat

Hears the things I'm looking for in a stove.

glass viewing (want to see those flames dancing)
house is 1080sq ft up and 1080 down
stove is in the basement
exterior block chimney (no liner???)
got to have a blower

The current stove does a great job of heating the whole house. I've got a duct booster fan in the floor above the stove that pushes heat upstairs.

Also will I need a liner with a new stove?

Hears the old stove.

Thanks Pat

Attachments

• hearth.com 050.jpg
    hearth.com 050.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 770
Doesn't really have to be a large viewing area. Just want a glass of some sort. I'm going to look at lowes today and see what they have.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of bay windows. But I do like the big Osburn 2400. Also consider an Englander 30NC, Drolet HT2000, PE Summit, Enerzone 3.4, etc.

BeGreen said:
Personally, I'm not a big fan of bay windows. But I do like the big Osburn 2400. Also consider an Englander 30NC, Drolet HT2000, PE Summit, Enerzone 3.4, etc.

Yep. Go large. 2,200 sq ft basement install. It's going to need a large firebox.

I would seriously consider relining your outside block chimney with an insulation wrapped s/s liner when you change out stoves. The newer EPA stoves are much more efficient but also run cooler stack temps which will give you draft fits without a proper chimney.

I agree with Todd on the chimney liner. I also go with the others that stated "big stove". If it were me, I would be looking at 3+ cuft of stove. Most all of the new EPA stoves have a nice viewing area.

Good info. I was also thinking bigger would be better, Can always regulate the stove down!! I'll do some looking at the stoves your talking about. Anyone know what lowes caries? Thanks Pat

Usually Englander, but often under an alias like Summer's Heat or TimberRidge.

If you're gonna do it, do it right. Insulated liner in the chimney, properly sized new stove. Can't tell for sure, but that looks like 8" single wall connector pipe. In all probability you'll be wanting to change that over to 6", depending on the stove choice. How tall is the exterior block chimney (stove to daylight)? Sounds like it must be ~20'. I agree with everything said about going large on the stove capacity. I'm just a bit concerned about this "duct booster fan in the floor above the stove...". If the inlet for that fan is within 10' of the stove, it might be a mechanical code violation...the concern being that in the event of a problem in the basement, the floor penetration will allow the spread of noxious gases or fire to the rest of the living space upstairs more quickly than it would spread without the floor penetration, thus less time to escape. Rick

Yeah I should have specified. Its not directly above the stove. Its out about 12 feet from the stove. Yeah this is exactly why I'm starting the planning stage now so I'm ready to tackle it when the triggers pulled. Pat

Ok lets bring this back to the top. I just went to look at 2 used stoves that a guy has and am wondering if one of them will fit my application. Any info is great. Thanks Pat

newer stove- 2003
Napoleon 1100
in verry good shape he wants 600.00 with some pipe and tools.

older stove- 1989
quadrafire 3000
in a little worse shape but still good. He wants 100.00

anyone got any info on these two stoves? I'm thinking there too small. Pat

I think I'd keep looking, those two stoves are more of a small home or one room heater.

Todd said:
I think I'd keep looking, those two stoves are more of a small home or one room heater.

Todd thanks for the info. Pat

curber said:
Ok lets bring this back to the top. I just went to look at 2 used stoves that a guy has and am wondering if one of them will fit my application. Any info is great. Thanks Pat

newer stove- 2003
Napoleon 1100
in verry good shape he wants 600.00 with some pipe and tools.

older stove- 1989
quadrafire 3000
in a little worse shape but still good. He wants 100.00

If you are looking to upgrade your stove, you will need something in the 3.5 cu ft firebox range. As Todd already mentioned, those are smaller stoves.

I would agree with the others, go big. I think the Englander 30 would be a good start, but there are others too. If you got the $$$'s, look at the Blaze King for a large firebox and super long burns and also some of the cast or soapstone stoves.

Good luck,
Bill

I was just looking at the drolet stoves from northern tool. The myriad and the ht2000, these stoves would do the job rite? Thanks Pat

curber said:
I was just looking at the drolet stoves from northern tool. The myriad and the ht2000, these stoves would do the job rite? Thanks Pat

I would go with the HT200 over the Myraid. Basement installs are very hit or miss. I would go with the larger of the two. Rarely do we have threads titled "I'm disappointed, my stove is too large and it is making the house too warm". Meanwhile, you will see dozens of threads with people wishing they had a larger stove.

BrowningBAR said:
curber said:

I would go with the HT200 over the Myraid. Basement installs are very hit or miss. I would go with the larger of the two. Rarely do we have threads titled "I'm disappointed, my stove is too large and it is making the house too warm". Meanwhile, you will see dozens of threads with people wishing they had a larger stove.

Is that drolet ht2000 a good stove?

we have 3000 sq. feet and my Napoleon 1900 kicks butt.....weve had it over 4 and a half years and love it, you can get into one of them for around 1400.00 out the door, it has a 3 cu. ft. firebox, and burns super clean....runs on 6" flue, would probably suit your application perfectly.....

curber said:
BrowningBAR said:
curber said:

Is that drolet ht2000 a good stove?

I believe another member recently purchased one this year. I think he is a first time burner, so we'll see how it works for him. I don't think we have any other members here using a large Drolet. I've never used one, so I have no idea of their build quality. But, it is an EPA certified stove, and it's not like Drolet has the reputation that the old EPA-exempt Vogelzang's have.

If it meets your budget, and you like how it looks, I think you'll do fine.

I'll just chime in here. Curber, I had the Napoleon 1101 as an insert. Good stove but the firebox was too small to heat my very drafty 1700 sf. So I now have as BG mentioned the Osburn 2400 insert. 3.2 cf firebox allows for real long burns and a ton of heat. It's a little larger than what I need but I like it that way. It was very reasonably priced at www.dynamitebuys.com

It's a 6" flue so I don't know if it works for your set up, but I thought I'd chime in since the two stoves I've had were mentioned in this thread. Good luck!

Well I've narrowed it down to the drolet ht2000 or the englander 30nc Now if I could get the 30 nc on sale at home depot i think that would be the deciding factor!! If anyone finds that sale price of 649 again please let me know. Thanks Pat

curber said:
Well I've narrowed it down to the drolet ht2000 or the englander 30nc Now if I could get the 30 nc on sale at home depot i think that would be the deciding factor!! If anyone finds that sale price of 649 again please let me know. Thanks Pat

I PMed you some info. Not $649 cheap, but I think it's cheaper than the HT2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.