Alternative tools of the trade

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rcook430

Burning Hunk
Jan 4, 2015
Ashland Ky
I use a few tools that are meant for other things that I use for the pellet stove. I thought I would share them and maybe others will chime in.
1. Golf club cleaning brush. Works great to scrub in those hard to reach areas.
2. Allen wrench. Use this to clean out the air holes in the burn pot.
3. Cat litter scoop. When I add pellets I pour them in the hopper until about 2 pounds of pellets are left. Then there are pellets and a lot of fines left. I use the cat litter scoop to scoop out the remaining pellets and the fines fall out the slots in the cat litter scoop.

I use a few tools that are meant for other things that I use for the pellet stove. I thought I would share them and maybe others will chime in.
1. Golf club cleaning brush. Works great to scrub in those hard to reach areas.
3. Cat litter scoop. When I add pellets I pour them in the hopper until about 2 pounds of pellets are left. Then there are pellets and a lot of fines left. I use the cat litter scoop to scoop out the remaining pellets and the fines fall out the slots in the cat litter scoop.

Good Tips, wish I'd thought of the cat litter scoop, going to try it out!

I do the cat litter scoop also, for scraping the burn pot I cut down a stainless steel spatula

washing machine water supply hose w/ one end cut off and a bicycle inner tube section collar that rolls down over the end of the shop vac hose. though it does get nooks and crannies, my stove really doesn't have many of those.
what i use it for every cleaning, is vacuuming the excess ash off the glass before cleaning. makes the job easier, faster and far less messy.
002.JPG

Hope the terminology useage police don't get here - I got clobbered for using that term once :p. Hey, but I know what you're talking about - so I say go for it. I like your scoop suggestion also.

• I use a steel wire brush to finish cleaning the burn pot after I scrape and chisel during.
  • Paint brush to whisk ash off the sides of the of the burn chamber and finish cleaning ash off the baffles - obviously this is only after the stove is cool. the brush is also used to get the majority of ash out of the igniter area under the burn pot.
  • A long-handle flat screw driver to chisel most of the stuff out of the burn pot.
  • A chisel for the occasional PITA lumps in the burn pot that don't come off with the scraper or screwdriver.
washing machine water supply hose w/ one end cut off and a bicycle inner tube section collar that rolls down over the end of the shop vac hose. though it does get nooks and crannies, my stove really doesn't have many of those.
what i use it for every cleaning, is vacuuming the excess ash off the glass before cleaning. makes the job easier, faster and far less messy.
View attachment 166743
Hmm, I have an extra hose that is brand new (came with the house - don't know why as there was no washer). I knew it could come in handy some day so didn't throw it away. Now I have a purpose for it.

I use a plastic putty knife to clean my burn-pot. What the heck are you guys burning that you need chisels and screwdrivers to clean your pot???????

I use a plastic putty knife to clean my burn-pot. What the heck are you guys burning that you need chisels and screwdrivers to clean your pot???????

I burn pot in the burn pot. Isn't that what you are supposed to burn in a burn pot?

(Trying to hide my IP Address before hitting "Post Reply")

Reactions: bogieb
I use a painters 5-in-1 tool for scraping the burnpot liner.
Available at any hardware store.

I use a homemade vacuum hose reducer setup. I use the lathe to turn an adapter that fits into the vac hose and a foot long piece of braided fuel hose to get into the nooks and crannys.

Mr Clean magic eraser works good on the glass, but not sure if it scratches so I don't use it often. Usually damp paper towel and ash.

My ash vac is a small rigid shopvac with a hepa filter.

And finally....I have a really ugly pink colored towel (not sure where it came from) I lay it on the floor in front of the stove before I clean to catch any escaping dust.

---Nailer---

And finally....I have a really ugly pink colored towel (not sure where it came from) I lay it on the floor in front of the stove before I clean to catch any escaping dust.

So that's where my ugly pink towel went...though I admit it was never very happy here with me.

Hope the terminology useage police don't get here - I got clobbered
Looks like they have already arrived at the scene. Touche' :rolleyes:;):);lol Don't go all Mid-Evil with the billy club. LOL! Which key is that on the key board anyway?

I use a gasket scraper from the autoparts for burnpot scraping. I sharpn it every so often. Also I use a China Bristol paint brush to clean ash off the glass on the lancaster daily with the stove running. I burn corn and get ash build up on glass. The Natural bristel paint brush is made fron hog hair and does not melt or burn on the hot glass. I have been using the same brush for years!

Reactions: bogieb and bags
I use a gasket scraper from the autoparts for burnpot scraping. I sharpn it every so often. Also I use a China Bristol paint brush to clean ash off the glass on the lancaster daily with the stove running. I burn corn and get ash build up on glass. The Natural bristel paint brush is made fron hog hair and does not melt or burn on the hot glass. I have been using the same brush for years!

Ahh, thanks for the info on the paint brush. I'm pretty sure the one I use has nylon bristles and I need to relplace it. I only use it when the stove is "cooled off", but sometimes the pot still has a few imbers in it at the bristles have curled up. I'll look for a boar-bristle brush next time I'm at the hardware store.

I use a glue scraper instead of the Harman scraper that came with stove. It works great with very little effort to clean the pot. I ground down the top to fit the under the flame guard.

20151114_083958.jpg

Reactions: Peterfield
Don't forget the LEAF BLOWER

Sucks out all the nooks and crannies real fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.