Alternatives to Triple Wall Piping Such as Dura-Vent/Dura Plus Direct Venting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boatboy63

Feb 6, 2010
Northeastern TN
Finally pulled the trigger today and got the last Magnolia my local TSC had. I have had my eye on this for a few weeks and thanks to wkpoor's reviews, I had to have it. Plans were to remove legs and put a smaller set on them to fit into my masonary fireplace area. After buying the stove and getting it on the floor in the living room, I started looking closer. Due to the layout of the living room, I decided I would rather have it sitting in the corner about 5' from fireplace and run the stovepipe into the flue above the fireplace area. It would be more of a "viewing pleasure" in the corner. I then went outside and took a closer look at the chimney. It is approximately 16' tall and is made with double row brick with a clay liner in the top 8' or so. As I looked at it, I noticed cracks in the mortar joints between the brick in several areas. It is about 30 yrs old and I am not too excited with it's structural integrity now. I also noticed that in the area where the thimble would go thru, there is about a 2" gap between the siding and the edge of the brick.

Because of this and the fact we would enjoy it better in the corner where we could see it, I then considered alternatives. The easiest resoluton was to install a direct vent triple wall Dura-Vent chimney going thru the ceiling about 4' from the exterior wall. I have never seen one up close but had a good idea of how it worked. Because of this, I found an installation manual online about it and started reading. In a sense, there is a little more to it than I thought, but not beyond my ability. As I started looking further into it, I didn't think $200 for the ceiling kit would be too bad, until I realized the pipe wasn't included. I found that it would cost me around $400 for the ceiling kit, black pipe from stove, and 2 sections of triple wall for attic/roof. In all reality, I probably need 3 pieces of the pipe, so that would bring it up another $100.

After thinking about it, $400-500 is more than I really want to put into 30 pounds of steel and fiberglass. Are there any other alternatives to this piping that someone could suggest? I am not afraid to fabricate this myself, as long as it is safe and cheaper. Thanks.

Boat,

I don't know of any other alternatives unless you build another masonry chimney lol. Why not see if you can find someone knowledgeable about going back to the original idea of in the fireplace with a stainless steel liner. However, that might be just as much as where you are at.

Good Luck

Marty

I ended up buying the Dura-Vent thru the ceiling and 2 3' sections of triple wall pipe. For the kit, triple wall pipe, and 6' of black pipe for inside, it cost around $350. Not really sure but may have to get another section of triple wall, depending on how it comes out and the height when completed. Started installing today and it was my first time dealing with this product. Would have to say the first time is a learning experience and could probably do it in 1/3 of the time if I ever did it again. The instructions can be confusing as they are not really specific. I don't really regret doing it, but it just seems like alot of money for less than 30 pounds of metal. I was hoping to have it done today, but had to do more framing than expected going thru ceiling into the attic. Am hoping to be finished tomorrow and get this thing going on it's maiden fire. Rain forcasted for tomorrow afternoon so hoping to get going early enough to get roof cut and exterior done. Did get box mounted in ceiling and am ready to set insulation barrier in place then cut the roof open to run pipe thru.

Status
Not open for further replies.