Always More Than An Inch Of Ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

F4jock

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2014
Red Rock, PA
I've had my Harman Accentra pellet insert for about 5 years now.While I've been able to deal with just about every problem I've had this perplexes me: No matter what, I have never been able to get the recommended one inch of ash on the lip of the firepot. There is always more, sometimes up to two inches. This doesn't bother me except that when ash builds up this much the flame seems to get a bit lazy. I've tried lots of different settings and lots of different pelletts. Nothing seems to make a difference. Anybody have any suggestions?

I do believe the 1" is for running wide open,after a period of time,and book says ash bed may be larger at lower settings.At least that is what it says in the fs manual.

Reactions: F4jock
I do believe the 1" is for running wide open,after a period of time,and book says ash bed may be larger at lower settings.At least that is what it says in the fs manual.
Hmmmm. You may be right. I kinda remember something like that. Was just trying to optimize the burn but I guess it's gonna be what it's gonna be as the stove never burns WAO in room temp. Thanks!

I just recently installed an accentra I rebuilt,for myself.First 24 hrs ran in stove mode(is cold here) and ash lip stayed almost the same the whole time,1-2".Switched to room/manual mode,ash is almost whole tray,but every time stove kicks up,cleans a lot out,then over the next hour bed grows again,but see no problems so far.Think I might have to keep this unit.

The 1" rule is way overblown. That is set to ensure you don't have burning pellets overflowing in the ash pan. Quality of pellets and your own heat demands will more than likely never have this occur. If you see that then back down the feed rate by a number. Most at number 4 will never see it.

I had a hard time getting the 1 inch with pellets in the PC45 but can do it easily with corn blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.