Am I asking for creosote problems??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lord Preston

Dec 21, 2013
Northern Ontario
Hi. Looking for opinions on wether my garage setup might be prone to excessive creosote buildup?? First vertical bit straight outta the stove is single wall and the whole diagonal and elbows are double wall. I’ll pull apart to clean sometime in January probably .. was-20 tonight and it fired up really nice.. wood is good and dry. Just looking for input as I tend to over think and worry about things sometimes

D03B000C-C2F5-4520-B6BD-212854B28CB0.jpeg

It may be fine as long as you are burning dry wood in a modern EPA stove. The midwinter cleaning will tell.

Off topic sorry..... Is that a Drolet Austral you're burning? If so, how do you like it? I just ordered the legend III. Same stove/firebox just different legs....

Off topic sorry..... Is that a Drolet Austral you're burning? If so, how do you like it? I just ordered the legend III. Same stove/firebox just different legs....
Ya it’s an austral 1st gen. got it used. Bricks only go half way up. I’m still learning wit this stove and it’s definately different than the caddy in my basement. Tonight at -20C it burned great but it can be tricky at times. Seems to need the logs positioned in such a way that air can really flow into the middle of the fire and warmer than -5 outside and it’s kinda sluggish.. doesent have a bypass damper either and spills smoke pretty bad if you open the door. But hey. It’s a garage...

Reactions: hardcore
My stoves manuals say no more than two 90° bends. You have two 45° bends. So based on my stove manuals, I would think you are fine. But we have different stoves. What does your stove manual say? Well, here is a link to a possible manual for your stove:

Look at page 42 and 43... And you will find recommended installation straight up is best, but if not, then to "Use 45° elbows where possible, instead of 90° elbows.", such as the example on the right:

Screenshot from 2020-12-16 12-49-54.png

You look good to me. Just try to avoid cracking yourself in the head on that pipe extending in-front of the stove.... :)

Last edited: