Am I going to be last at the big annual cleaning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gbreda

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 3, 2009
Lakes Region, NH
Just saw strangemainer's post on his big annual cleaning and dont want to hijack his thread, soooo.........

Have had mine unplugged for a month now. Just had minor knee surgery last Wed and already feeling MUCH better. Give it another week or so before getting on my knees for a couple of hours on a cement floor. I did already plug the exhaust and OAK intake. I also gave the stove a good cleaning before running the last few bags thru it (maybe about 6-8 weeks ago, just before I tweaked my knee)

Who else hasnt closed up the stove and cleaned yet? Come on....fess up. :)

gbreda-

dont worry about the hijack, maybe we are going to lite a fire (pun intended) to all those who are left!

and I hear you about being on your knees for a few hours! Im 6ft 2in and 275 lbs. Im hurting from this cleanout,
but I saved at least a hundred bucks, and the great feeling that i did it myself is enough for me.

-good luck, and take care!

I know that some use their stoves much further into the season than I do, but I think most are 3 season users. Although it's front and center to maintain during burning season, there are many other things calling us outside at this time of year.

Once the knee is good to go, mine will be cleaned and as imacman stated, "15 minutes and I can be ready to fire her up! "

Then all I will need to do is get several ton carried into the basement. WOO HOO !!!!!!!

We did all the pellet stoves in our showroom about a month ago. We'll have enough to worry about once the season starts. Its a good feeling in September when that customer says "Well, can I see that thing burning" and I dont have to cross my fingers.

Had the stove on for coupla hours few weeks ago but figure I gotta dig into now that it's almost July 4th. I may just pull it out of the corner and redo the Hearth behind it while it's apart, the hearth needs some help.,.

mascoma said:
Had the stove on for coupla hours few weeks ago but figure I gotta dig into now that it's almost July 4th. I may just pull it out of the corner and redo the Hearth behind it while it's apart, the hearth needs some help.,.

On July 4 you are supposed to take your snowblower outside and service it, which of course is followed by verifying it still works by starting it and scaring the crap out of the neighbors.

SmokeyTheBear said:
mascoma said:

On July 4 you are supposed to take your snowblower outside and service it, which of course is followed by verifying it still works by starting it and scaring the crap out of the neighbors.

If you also have a plow, making it look like you're hooking it up might add to that excitement..... ;-P

SmokeyTheBear said:
mascoma said:

I always thought you brought the snowblower out during the first storm and tried to start it. Then you call the snowblower repairman to see how many blowers are in front of yours at the shop.

SmokeyTheBear said:
mascoma said:

Naw, I had the blower out a few weeks ago to wash and coat with WD-40 for the off season.

Your not last. I ordered a combustion blower gasket for my freestanding Castile so I can complete my cleaning. Hopefullly this week it will arrive. Not really looking forward to taking the back off of the stove.

I work on a few stoves each week. I do not need to see another one..... I will wait till the darn thing shuts off on it's own before I will clean the Breckwell at the house but I think I will be replacing it with a Harman this year. The Santa-Fe, PC-45 and the DVC-500 at the store still have ash in them.

Eric

imacman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
mascoma said:

If you also have a plow, making it look like you're hooking it up might add to that excitement..... ;-P

Oh, Boy. How the heck did we get from cleaning stoves to running snowblowers and hooking up the old plow?

Well if you can beat them, Join them.

After the blower is run and the plow is set. I wonder if the neighbor would mind if I ripe the snow mobile around his grassy lot! :cheese:

next!

Geno what did you start here???(hehe) Hope that knee is better quickly!.

I live on a well travelled road and get some odd looks when I break out the snow shovel to scoop grass clippings and leaves in the warm months but it works great.

jtakeman said:
imacman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
mascoma said:

Oh, Boy. How the heck did we get from cleaning stoves to running snowblowers and hooking up the old plow?

After the blower is run and the plow is set. I wonder if the neighbor would mind if I ripe the snow mobile around his grassy lot! :cheese:

next!

Someone mentioned July 4, which is the day I normally take care of my snowblower (got to do something while waiting for the BBQ) for the coming winter, in Maine there are two seasons 4th of July and winter.

SmokeyTheBear said:
jtakeman said:
imacman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
mascoma said:

next!

Someone mentioned July 4, which is the day I normally take care of my snowblower (got to do something while waiting for the BBQ) for the coming winter, in Maine there are two seasons 4th of July and winter.

DAMMIT !!!!! Now I gotta haul the snow blower out of the shed and clean that too !!!!! Thank god my snow boots and coat are still on the cellar stairs. Wouldnt want to look silly servicing the snowblower in shorts and sneakers.

Oh yeah, smokey.....I go by a slight variation of 2 seasons in New Hampshire. Winter and Road Construction...they both stink for driving !!!!!

Thanks Jay, the knee is getting better daily.

I have not given the stove the big clean as of yet. I am still burning and its already approaching July. Been using one bag +/- every three days, stove on thermostat...

Still waiting on exhaust fan gaskets before tearing it down. Figured that I need a spare just in case it is destroyed when I pull it apart.

tchdngrnby said:
I have not given the stove the big clean as of yet. I am still burning and its already approaching July. Been using one bag +/- every three days, stove on thermostat...

Still waiting on exhaust fan gaskets before tearing it down. Figured that I need a spare just in case it is destroyed when I pull it apart.

x2...no cleaning for mine yet either, too many other things to do. I work on these things enough. I thought it would be a good idea to paint the garage (inside)...started that a month ago, wife wants it back together by Saturday, so to be sure, I put up a fresh coat inside the dog house too, in the event I wind up there.

smwilliamson said:
x2...no cleaning for mine yet either, too many other things to do. I work on these things enough. I thought it would be a good idea to paint the garage (inside)...started that a month ago, wife wants it back together by Saturday, so to be sure, I put up a fresh coat inside the dog house too, in the event I wind up there.

Ah yes, isn't that where we all wind up on occasion?

I'm lucky, no dog house and the chickens have already told my wife I can't stay with them, there is only my bear cave (which is where the stove is) so when I get banished, I have all the comforts a bear could want.

I've got to get a gasket for the door and the combustion blower to finish my big annual cleaning and fix up. I don't think I'll be burning anything until late September early October at the earliest.

To all that have mentioned the combustion blower gasket....thanks!!!! I should get one before removing that.

My blower fan blade is accessable and able to be cleaned from the ash pan area so I have never had to remove it during burning season for cleaning. But I was planning on removing the fan and then the motor for the annual cleaning.

gbreda said:
To all that have mentioned the combustion blower gasket....thanks!!!! I should get one before removing that.

My blower fan blade is accessable and able to be cleaned from the ash pan area so I have never had to remove it during burning season for cleaning. But I was planning on removing the fan and then the motor for the annual cleaning.

Looking at the parts manual. I dont see a gasket for the combustion motor. Does the P68 not use one?
Also, just called the dealer service dept. No need to remove the motor since the fan is accessable.....

Makes sense to me, but I am not always sensible. Anyone with a P68 that can chime in for Yea or Nay?

gbreda said:
gbreda said:

Looking at the parts manual. I dont see a gasket for the combustion motor. Does the P68 not use one?
Also, just called the dealer service dept. No need to remove the motor since the fan is accessable.....

Makes sense to me, but I am not always sensible. Anyone with a P68 that can chime in for Yea or Nay?

The only reason to take the blower out is to clean off the fan blades and clean out the blower cavity, sounds like your fan and cavity are exposed when you open the stove up.

gbreda said:
gbreda said:

There is a gasket but you shouldn't need to remove the motor to maintain the unit. Everything is accessible from the ash drawer. To pull this motor however, you need to take off the impeller. I wouldn't suggest it unless you need to replace the motor.

Thanks guys. Combustion motor stays in place. One less thing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.