Am I Obsessed...???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a mixer too. But will seperate the softer woods from the hardwoods, not by species though. Pine is for the fire pit. Cottonwood, boxelder, and poplar go together. Silver maple, birch, and cherry go together. White oak, red oak, red elm, and white elm, and sugar maple go together.

I'm staying far enough ahead that all wood gets 3 summers to dry. I tried to seperate by species and just kept ending up with too many half filled stacks taking up way too much space. Most of my wood has been scrounged so its a mix to begin with or its one or 2 trucks loads of this and that.

I guess I would call myself semi-obsessed. Definitely wouldn't mix the oak and pine though.

I am in same boat. Scroungin is either feast or famine. Hard to keep it separated.

i can see it from a few points. if you had it stacked on pallets already, then it would have made sense from both a flow and an effort standpoint to just split one pallet at a time and then stack it immediately back on the pallet. if it were me, and I had access, I would just move the splitter right next to the rounds, and not have to even move them in the first place, then stack them back up.

As I often say, "laziness breeds efficiency".

but with free labor, you get what you paid for. Unless you give specific instructions from the get-go, you cannot expect the specific results.

I write dates on different stacks. It lets me be sure its seasoned 2 years with no doubts.

Yeah, I do as well . . . the month and year I stacked it . . . and then when I load up my shed I mark the rows of wood with the year of when it was loaded into the woodshed.

As I said in my earlier post . . . asking us wood nuts if a person is obsessed will often net a person a different answer vs. if they asked John Q. Public.

I write dates on different stacks. It lets me be sure its seasoned 2 years with no doubts.

Yeah, I do as well . . . the month and year I stacked it . . . and then when I load up my shed I mark the rows of wood with the year of when it was loaded into the woodshed.

As I said in my earlier post . . . asking us wood nuts if a person is obsessed will often net a person a different answer vs. if they asked John Q. Public.
You skipped the most perennial of all wood stacking debates, bark up vs. bark down.

Well that's because it clearly is bark up. ;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.