Am I running my stove too hot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beatlefan

Feeling the Heat
Oct 2, 2015
Urbana, Ohio
I have a 30NC, burning 2 year ash, walnut & cherry. I typically let the stove top temp peak at 750. Entire system was installed August, 2014. Chimney has been gradually turning black at the top from the very start of its first season. Had the chimney swept at the beginning of this season. Sweep said it was burning nice and clean. Is this normal?

Attachments

• Chimney 1.JPG
    Chimney 1.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 115
  • Chimney 2.JPG
    Chimney 2.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 115
Blackened chimney cap is pretty normal. Are you measuring the stove top temp with the blower on or off?

Blower off. Thermometer located on the angled part of the stovetop, as recommended here. I kick the blower on when I hit 750F.

Sounds like you are cooking, but not overfiring. I'd turn on the blower at a lower temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.