Amazing Race

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Wolf

Minister of Fire
Jun 13, 2008
Eastern CT
I was just watching the preveiws for next weeks "The Amazing Race" and it looks like one of the road blocks is to stack several cords of firewood. They seem to be having a lot of trouble with piles falling down.

Why couldn't I get picked for the Race? Thats one event I know I could rock at!!

Greg H said:
I was just watching the preveiws for next weeks "The Amazing Race" and it looks like one of the road blocks is to stack several cords of firewood. They seem to be having a lot of trouble with piles falling down.

Why couldn't I pick picked for the Race? Thats one event I know I could rock at!!

Funny you mention that . . . after watching the preview last night my wife turned to me and said, "I betcha would be pretty good at that task."

I wouldn't know - I usually get to stack twice.
The last stack to go over was single row 5' high, 20' long between two trees - 3/4 of it was still perfectly stacked unfortunately it was horizontal.
Saw it down in the morning before work - got 6" of snow while at work.

Aaron

I didn't see that preview, nor have I ever watched the show. Is the task timed? If not, I could do it. My wife would do it even better than I would (she's a great wood stacker...so precise). If it's timed, I'd just concede defeat. :p Rick

fossil said:
If it's timed, I'd just concede defeat. :p Rick
I've got to be the world's slowest firewood stacker, especially if I have to cross-pile the ends.

LLigetfa said:
fossil said:
If it's timed, I'd just concede defeat. :p Rick
I've got to be the world's slowest firewood stacker, especially if I have to cross-pile the ends.

Dunno. Maybe we should have a contest for "World's Slowest Freestacker". In the woodshed, no problem...stack to the wall. Out in front of the workshop, however, and out beyond the shop building, I need to build up the end columns. I'm always looking for those perfect half-rounds...and use some wedges when needed. Careful to keep them leaning a bit in & back. This is what's left now from about 2+ cords stacked for the shop stove last year. Started out about 6' high. Yes, I've had end columns tumble. All part of the learning. Rick

Attachments

• stack.jpg
    stack.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 293
Here's my avatar pic in higher res. Those stacks are 9 feet tall.
100_0181.jpg

Very nice. I can discern how you carefully build them to tend the appropriate direction as they grow taller. I don't think either of us is a candidate for world's fastest. ;-P Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.