Amazing, some advice given in here, just amazing...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Before posting here remember that:
a) Hearth.com is about helping people. It is not about pushing "my way or the highway".
b) What you are reading here are opinions, that's all
c) Humor often does not come off well in a short post, sarcasm even less so
d) People are not mind readers. Be clear in your communications to avoid misinterpretation
Begreen I totally agree. I try to communicate my experience and if that helps so be it. I value the opinions of people on this forum and am glad sometimes there is some humour too!!!

It is informative to hear other members comment on stoves they own and have hands on experience with,but most of us know who the experts are here.
Also its important to own and operate a stove for several years before giving advice.
1 year is just NOT enough time to know a particular stove well enough to give much advice.AN opinion yes, advice not so much. I never knew a thing about moisture content till i found this site.
Im still learning something new every day. Theres a a lot of mis-information out there about wood and wood stoves so i guess its our mission to correct as much of it as possible.

Reactions: Kevin Dolan
  • Claiming one type of stove is junk, primarily because they don't know how to run their stove.
  • Claiming economic steel stoves are junk (you get what you pay for is the claim.)
  • Insisting certain size stoves will magically produce more heat than larger stoves.
  • Insisting their stove will heat far more square footage than it is possible.
  • Pushing new buyers towards the stove they own because that is the best stove ever.
  • New stoves need perfect wood
  • New stoves are complicated and requires tons of research.
  • Cast irons stoves are the best materials for stoves.
  • Can't get a soapstone stove over XXX degrees
  • Something, something, BTU ratings, something, something, emissions.

Don't forgot that catalytic stoves are so complex you need a PHd to figure it out and the cat needs to be changed every year at a thousand bucks a pop ;)

he he

Funny I think the stove I happen to own is the only one Ive never actually recommended to anyone.....

Last edited:
The other one that gets me is when I see somebody giving a wild guess answer about a stove they dont have any experience of, and in 5 minutes I can google the manufacturer, download the owners manual and find the right answer.

I will sometimes respond in that case and maybe post a screenshot of said downloaded manual for reference; and I try to be clear that Im going by the manual not personal experience.

I know these cases are usually not intentional, but can cause confusion nonetheless. Im sure if I went back and read my own posts from my first couple years here I pulled the know it all routine more than once so I'm trying to make a conscious effort not to do that and cut new members slack :)

Overall, I'd second the thought that on balance this is the best most informative place on the net. bar none. :cool:

Reactions: blazincajun
Don't forgot that catalytic stoves are so complex you need a PHd to figure it out and the cat needs to be changed every year at a thousand bucks a pop ;)
he he
Funny I think the stove I happen to own is the only one Ive never actually recommended to anyone.....
Id love to own a cat stove.,That is probably my next stove purchase. I hold them in high regard mainly from opinions of members here i respect. Would you recommend your brand? How does it stack up against BK and other cats.?

I agree with HW that I am guilty sometimes of not correcting posts that are obviously wrong, but the reason is that I am still a new burner and fairly new to the forum. I don't have the confidence that comes from years of experience with burning, nor am I a dealer or an installer. Still, I feel that I can help sometimes when there are obvious issues, and most of the time I will preface comments with 'other members here say that...' or whatever. For example, a poster who complains about no heat out of their stoves who are burning oak that was split 2 weeks ago. I have never burned oak and probably never will due to my location, but I can still let them know that oak takes a long time to dry and most members here give it at least 2-3 years CSS. I can also add some ways of helping to get not-so-perfect wood to burn better, all of which I have learned from others here. Hopefully most of the time I've got it about right and if not someone else will jump in to correct me.

I have no opinion on cats, although I am thinking of one for my next stove purchase ;lol ::P.

Go to stove shops. Read all of the stove user's manuals. Search hearth.com for pertinent and impertinent information. Read all of the other info on the web and then go do what Brotherbart told you to do in the first place.

Recently a new person we hired started smelling like alcohol after lunch. He's a great worker so I was a bit startled that this happened all of a sudden. When we talked he told me several of his co-workers told him that written policy said it was ok to have 2 beers at lunch. Come to find out all 8 technicians believed this policy existed. WhenI talked to everyone no one actually read this policy, they heard or someone said. I am just as much at fault for this because I have never reviewed the alcohol/drug policy with the team.
Well??? Can you guys have the two beers at lunch or not? I may need a job app sent my way ;)

Reactions: Kevin Dolan
I just hang out here for the wimmen.

you have to go one way or the other. You can't "point them out" and "not point them out"

I see this on every forum i go to. The experienced telling the unexperienced that they are dragging the site down with incorrect advice.

If you truely believe this,, you would have already disputed all of the bad advice you have seen,,instead of starting a thread telling everyone it "should be done"

I have seen you disagree with advice, so I think your heart is in the right place on it,,, just noting the "this place is going to he!! thread" that is the common denominator of all forums :)
Again, those that have been here a while and some new members, know how I am, and If you read any threads where I called BS, or advised of poor advise given, those threads speak for themselves.
It is common knowledge not to purposely point out and attack an individual or individuals with a specific threads geared towards doing so.
This is for just about any decent forum site.
I can remember a few members who are no longer members for doing such, and one was a jackhole that did so with me years back.

I dispute what I want to in the thread that it pertains to, more than most.
The purpose of this thread is to point out the rise in such issues, and sure some venting to boot.
The main purpose is to give those looking for knowledge and advice to do much research and take advise as I said, with a grain of salt.
There is mostly some great advice on here, but there is quite a bit more jacks of all trades, masters of none, giving not so good advice, and to a person who knows no better, this can be potentially dangerous.
I never said anything about dragging the site down, just voicing observance of more BS than typical of years past. That will come with having more members than ever before. Just want the new members who may have no knowledge, to be aware that is all.

The absolute worst is someone claiming to have been doing something for so long, and been doing it improper and advising same to other inexperienced folks.
This is why I tell many new folks who are just getting into this, to do lots of research, take their time, and try to filter through good advise Vs. not good advise.
Not always easy to do, but just bringing it to light.

I try to talk on the subjects/products I know & what I've learned in the field. I know that there a number of stove designs & manufacturers that I am unfamiliar with & I try not to comment on their issues unless the post has been sitting for a while in the "unanswered threads" category. Even then, unless I can download an install manual, read thru it & find an answer, I won't comment. I may be one of those that HW refers to who cites years of experience, but it doesn't bother me, because I DO have it & that's all I can draw upon to help people in here. I was taught by people with MORE years in this industry than I will ever hope to have & I truly believe that I was instructed correctly. I still do occasional installs & service on wood, pellet & gas appliances, & hope to for the foreseeable future. I do it primarily because I know how to do it safely, since in this industry a mistake can mean death. I WILL admit that the extra cash is a nice incentive.
My comment was not aimed at you, and although we have disagreed on a couple things, I still respect that you try and help with what you know. That is all any of us can and should do.
If I don't know jack about something, then I don't say jack either. Even untouched posts, I still won't if I simply know nothing about what is being asked.

Reactions: DAKSY
Usually if someone is giving half-baked bad advice one of the moderators will step in and correct it,iv seen that quite a bit.

Reactions: Cynnergy
Given the general nature of the thread I am moving it to The Nook.

Usually if someone is giving half-baked bad advice one of the moderators will step in and correct it,iv seen that quite a bit.

There aren't enough of us to always be on top of every thread. We depend on members using the Report function to bring problems we may not be aware of to our attention. Rick

Reactions: pen and Jags
My main point was trying to warn less experienced folks or ones considering installed and burning a stove or insert, to do diligent research, and not just go by a person's advise or lead.
And also that some who give advice, to think before they type, and consider that someone may follow that advise and seriously regret it.
I am not trying to make anyone feel butt hurt, and I also think they know who they are, and many others on here do also.
Set the false pride and trying to save the day crap aside, and just offer what you know, if you think it is right.
And if your giving wild arse guesses or giving advise for burning habits that your grandpappy's grandpappy taught down the line, it may not jive with the real world today.
We have the luxury of having all this knowledge of the internet today, especially this site. And of course a minority of it will be sketchy.

I know I ain't always right, and this is why I gear my responses more to things I do know very well.
Feel free to shitcan this thread, just want some folks to avoid unnecessary issues that can be avoided.
Not meaning it to go in a direction it shouldn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cynnergy and DAKSY
Here's my .02. I think that those here that have more experience and more knowledge with multiple stove set-ups/mfgr's have a fine line to walk. If you come over sounding like a overbearing expert, then some will tune you out....it's human nature. It takes skill to turn someone around and educate them without making them feel like an idiot or piss them off. And if you do that(slam them), then you have just squandered a golden opportunity to teach someone something that might save their life, or their family's life.

In my past life I was an instructor in a few things. Before that I had some really fantastic instructors, and a few arse holes that had the knowledge, but meted it out only when they deemed you worthy and only after they had made you feel foolish. Even as an instructor, I was always seeking more, always learning new methods, trying new things. No matter what tier of knowledge you have mastered, there is always another tier.

The majority of the expert's here handle themselves well. I have seen a few pop off, then later back up and explain things better. The bottom line is that as long as you experienced guys and gals are around, I think there is no need to warn newbies to be careful on taking advise. Controversial issues are handled on the threads so everyone can see/hear/learn, then the newbie can make his/her own rational judgement. That is really all that can be done.

There aren't enough of us to always be on top of every thread. We depend on members using the Report function to bring problems we may not be aware of to our attention. Rick
that is an odd comment,,or I don't understand what you mean.

You depend on members to report what they believe, is incorrect (halfbaked)advice in a thread?

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
Its also very possible for 2 people to have a very different experience,s with the very same stove given differences in flue height ,draft,house size,insulation levels and most important wood quality and moisture content. ect.
that is an odd comment,,or I don't understand what you mean.
You depend on members to report what they believe, is incorrect (halfbaked)advice in a thread?
Exactly, there is a lot going on here and only a few mods online at a time. THey do a pretty good job of keeping the peace but they cant be everywhere.

Its also very possible for 2 people to have a very different experience,s with the very same stove given differences in flue height ,draft,house size,insulation levels and most important wood quality and moisture content. ect.

Exactly, there is a lot going on here and only a few mods online at a time. THey do a pretty good job of keeping the peace but they cant be everywhere.
i wasn't referring to "keeping the peace". I took the comment as moderators wanting people report what the person perceived as "incorrect advice"

c) Humor often does not come off well in a short post, sarcasm even less so

Dually noted, but it's tough. I always wanted to be a stand up canadian.

i wasn't referring to "keeping the peace". I took the comment as moderators wanting people report what the person perceived as "incorrect advice"

Yes - if a post is obviously out of line - report it.

Reactions: Ehouse
Status
Not open for further replies.