An attempt to get 2-3 years ahead.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rockey

Minister of Fire
Dec 18, 2007
SW Ohio
So it appears that I will probably run out of fully seasoned wood sometime in the late Jan - Feb range this year. I have plenty split and stacked. I think I calculated it to be around 20-25 cord under our carport (pictured) but only about 10-12 of that is seasoned. As you can see Im trying to get a start on the rest of next year and the following years wood supply. Ive already burned between 2-3 cord this year and will likely end up burning 20 cord if its a cold year. I really dont know because we havent been in the house long enough for me to make a solid guess and last year was an easy year.

After talking to a friend yesterday he mentioned that his father law, who is retired, fills his carport up to the very top with wood. Combine that with the posts Ive been reading on solar kilns and this is where I got my Kentucky epiphany. By next April, Im going to have the carport chock full of wood. Calculates to between 40-50 cord. Then Im going to wrap the whole thing with contractor grade plastic. It'll stay that way until October. I have some huge splits between 50-65 #'s and they are going to stay that way. I'll take some measurements at the end of October and see where everything stands. If it goes well Ill probably use plexiglass the following year , for aesthetic sake.

Im pretty excited about this project and may even stick a few sensors in the center of the stacks to monitor temp and humidity. It should be pretty easy to regulate airflow so I dont get any mold. As far as finding enough wood, that shouldnt be an issue.There is a local tree service that drops off wood all the time. That and there are probably 50 dead ash trees in the woods surrounding the house.

I will update with pictures when everything is completed in April. It will be good to know if this works out and I can get a year or so ahead

20171202_163930_zpsv0pn1b9z.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-2_17-7-47.png
    upload_2017-12-2_17-7-47.png
    66.1 KB · Views: 163
Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Twenty cords a year, wow. Are these full cords or face cords?

128 cu ft. The boiler will hold between about 40 cu ft when full
Oh I didn't see the boiler in your sig. That's a lot of wood. Can see why staying 3 yrs up s tough.

You have a boiler that holds 1/3 of a full cord per load? Is it the size of a dump truck?_g

Reactions: Lakeside
Wow! That’s a lot of wood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have a boiler that holds 1/3 of a full cord per load? Is it the size of a dump truck?_g

From what i remember Central makes a size or two bigger than this one also. I wouldnt mind going to a gassifier someday when this one gives up the ghost/

Just doing some quick math, I have a 16' x 16' woodshed. I go about 6 or 7' high and can get roughly 12 - 14 Cord in there (2 years of wood). That would put your carport at 32' X 32' (or 1,000 sqft equivalent) - that is one massive amount of wood under 1 roof!

Just doing some quick math, I have a 16' x 16' woodshed. I go about 6 or 7' high and can get roughly 12 - 14 Cord in there (2 years of wood). That would put your carport at 32' X 32' (or 1,000 sqft equivalent) - that is one massive amount of wood under 1 roof!

Actually its 30 X 25 but I plan to fill most of the apex too.

What boiler do you have?

Its a Central Boiler CL5648. I had to go back and look at the specs because I have forgotten them. I was mistaken on the firebox size. Its 60" X 48" x 36" so it can actually fit 60 cubic ft of wood. Jezuz H. 500K BTU and the only way I can get the wife to run around the cabin naked is burning her clothes!?

Reactions: D8Chumley
I’m not an expert on OWB, but everyone I’ve seen never css their wood. They just cut the logs and throw them in.
I would think that your wood would be too dry and burn up quick, short burn time not like the smouldering fires I usually see. My frien has a smaller central boiler, heats decent size house with 10 cord and had enough left over to heat his pool this summer.

Actually its 30 X 25 but I plan to fill most of the apex too.
I think I have about 24 Cord Split and stacked right now, was working on it today, thought that was a huge amount. Like I said that is a massive amount of wood! Just curious, how much space are you heating?

I’m not an expert on OWB, but everyone I’ve seen never css their wood. They just cut the logs and throw them in.
I would think that your wood would be too dry and burn up quick, short burn time not like the smouldering fires I usually see. My frien has a smaller central boiler, heats decent size house with 10 cord and had enough left over to heat his pool this summer.

Ive had others tell me not to burn seasoned wood because it doesnt last as long. I just dont get the logic. If your burning unseasoned wood then "X" amount of extra energy has to go towards boiling off the extra moisture in the wood. This energy is lost, its wasted. Maybe its different with a boiler and Im just ignorant on design differences in a wood boiler and the catalytic insert I was used to burning.

I think I have about 24 Cord Split and stacked right now, was working on it today, thought that was a huge amount. Like I said that is a massive amount of wood! Just curious, how much space are you heating?

Its a lot of sq footage. Probably in the 8500 sq ft range with 25'+ ceiling ht in the great room.

Its a lot of sq footage. Probably in the 8500 sq ft range with 25'+ ceiling ht in the great room.
Thanks, that certainly helps put the wood volume in perspective.

Good bless you with going through that many cords. I actually like the fact that you are mindful of burning your boiler with seasoned wood, btw I am impressed with the split sizes you use.

Holy crap! I didn't think it got that cold there.

8500 sq ft, whoa. I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of the house and/or boiler!

Here is a pic my cousin took with his drone over Thanksgiving. the boiler isnt much to look at, over 13 years old now but the firebox is pretty impressive. Ill take a picture of it about half full when I get back from my business trip about midweek.

logcabin_zpspvkco5h3.jpg

Dang nice place there! If I could only hit the lottery...

Reactions: Rockey
Ive had others tell me not to burn seasoned wood because it doesnt last as long. I just dont get the logic. If your burning unseasoned wood then "X" amount of extra energy has to go towards boiling off the extra moisture in the wood. This energy is lost, its wasted. Maybe its different with a boiler and Im just ignorant on design differences in a wood boiler and the catalytic insert I was used to burning.
Hopefully a gassifyer will take some of the load off when it's time to upgrade. Ever give any thoughts to adding storage?

I'm exhausted just thinking about the amount of work your doing cutting, stacking, and constantly feeding that beast.

I agree with you on your thoughts on dry wood, and you are doing us all a favor by not pumping all that smoke into the air by burning wet wood.