An attempt to get 2-3 years ahead.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nice place, do you heat the garage too

There is a hydronic heater in the garage but I rarely turn it on. Right now its set on 45 to keep anything from freezing. The previous owner had about 30 Labradors that they kept in the bottom garage so they heated it and kept the door open to the upper garage and the apartment above it so I know it was a full time job for him to keep the joint warm with the boiler alone.

Hopefully a gassifyer will take some of the load off when it's time to upgrade. Ever give any thoughts to adding storage?

I'm exhausted just thinking about the amount of work your doing cutting, stacking, and constantly feeding that beast.

I agree with you on your thoughts on dry wood, and you are doing us all a favor by not pumping all that smoke into the air by burning wet wood.

I have read a little about storage and only gave it a little thought since I dont know enough about it to make a real go at it. I go to industrial auctions all the time and see lots of containers I could buy dirt cheap if I ever got serious about it. I really believe that if I had a friend or someone that could show me exactly what to do I would probably take it on. What is the real advantage of storage? Will it just help me with the really cold nights or are there more benefits?

I really dont mind all the cutting splitting and stacking. If I had to go out and drop the trees and bring them back to the house then it would get to be a bit much but honestly I really enjoy the workout and am looking forward to getting ahead. The dry wood burns much better this year, at times I dont see any smoke. Hopefully it last another couple of years before I look into a gassifier.

So it appears that I will probably run out of fully seasoned wood sometime in the late Jan - Feb range this year. I have plenty split and stacked. I think I calculated it to be around 20-25 cord under our carport (pictured) but only about 10-12 of that is seasoned. As you can see Im trying to get a start on the rest of next year and the following years wood supply. Ive already burned between 2-3 cord this year and will likely end up burning 20 cord if its a cold year. I really dont know because we havent been in the house long enough for me to make a solid guess and last year was an easy year.

After talking to a friend yesterday he mentioned that his father law, who is retired, fills his carport up to the very top with wood. Combine that with the posts Ive been reading on solar kilns and this is where I got my Kentucky epiphany. By next April, Im going to have the carport chock full of wood. Calculates to between 40-50 cord. Then Im going to wrap the whole thing with contractor grade plastic. It'll stay that way until October. I have some huge splits between 50-65 #'s and they are going to stay that way. I'll take some measurements at the end of October and see where everything stands. If it goes well Ill probably use plexiglass the following year , for aesthetic sake.

Im pretty excited about this project and may even stick a few sensors in the center of the stacks to monitor temp and humidity. It should be pretty easy to regulate airflow so I dont get any mold. As far as finding enough wood, that shouldnt be an issue.There is a local tree service that drops off wood all the time. That and there are probably 50 dead ash trees in the woods surrounding the house.

I will update with pictures when everything is completed in April. It will be good to know if this works out and I can get a year or so ahead

View attachment 216914
I like your idea of turning the shed into a kiln, but unless you have a source for plexiglass that is literally $.10 on the dollar or less compared to what I've seen it priced at, your payoff will take a foolish number of years. Unless you have said source, you will be wasting lots of money on that idea. But, hey, it's yours, and I know how I react to other people telling me how to spend mine.

I am kinda chewing on this one as it is unique in several ways. Up here a typical new home is 1500-2000 sqft, 5 star construction and the suggested storage tank is in the 3000 gallon range, which no one really wants inside the insulation envelope of a 1500sqft home.

The advantage is the operator can run the OWB occasionally at max efficiency while continuously pumping water from the storage tank to the boiler and back. When a thermostat calls for heat, the house piping draws out of the storage tank, circulates through the house and then back to the storage tank. At some point the BTUs in the storage bank run down - that's why it's efficient to put the big tank inside the insulation envelope - and it is time to fire up the OWB again to run it at max eff for a firebox full to heat the storage tank back up.

Cleaner burn and less overall wood consumption.

I have no idea how big a tank for 8500sqft, and I have no idea how much smaller it could being that far south from here. Big. It would be big. 2 thanks at 5k gallons each? I really have no idea.

It is a butt ton of cords too. Not unreasonable given sqft, but that is a lot of wood.

I'll get back to cogitating.

I have been stewing on this a few days now, and I am in a way different climate at 64 degrees north latitude, so grab your salt grains...

I process 12-15 cords of green wood annually. I keep 10, give the rest away on my karma account. The ten I keep lose about 18% volume while seasoning, so my ten green cords becomes eight seasoned cords. I think of my self as a small time operator. I am kinda at the limit for being small time, but really I am in the same weight class as the guys burning 2-3 cords annually. Other than an electric splitter and a 16" chainsaw I do it all by hand. I don't have any kids home to help, I don't have any hired help, Just me. I do have a pickemup truck as a DD, but no dump trailer or log skidder...

OTOH I do maybe have a little better handle on the reality of burning 20-30 cords per year since it's only 2-3x what I am doing, compared to many other small time operators.

@Rockey , more power to you filling the apex of the roof of that shed once, but I think it will be time consuming enough that you won't bother doing it twice.

If I was going to triple my annual through put, I would absolutely go to a firebox with a loading door on the outside of the house. Carrying that much wood through the house in a season, even a nice long one like mine, would be an insane waste of time. 30 cords in 6 months for my season, 5 cords a month, coming through a man door into the house one armload at a time, no way.

I would probably start with an ATV and large trailer so I could bring a boxfull of wood to the firebox in one trip, and then just have to toss it in. A front end loader would be really tempting, maybe tractor mounted with a backhoe on the back for balance and then drag a bush hog with the same tractor in summer. After the wife approved the tractor purchase there would be an ATV on the property...

At ten cords annually, I don't stack any more. It is too time consuming. My kiln modules are at 8 feet long max specifically so I can just dump the wood in there, get the ends of all the splits kinda flush and go on. Much over 8 feet between uprights the stacks tend to fall over as they season, and I HATE having to restack firewood in fishing season. Or camping season. Or hunting season, really, I pretty much hate having to stack wood twice no matter what, but it is especially odious in the summer months.

For 3x my current volume, no more stacking. Somehow my splits would not be touched by hand again from coming off the splitter to going in the firebox. I have thought of two options.

One option would be those metal cages that fit on pallets. There is a name for them that I don't remember. I doubt they hold more than about 42 cuft, Rockey would need 60 to 90 of them. With that kind of setup he could build a spacious greenhouse for plants that would improve the eventual resale value of the property, put in an overhead door, operate it as a wood drying kiln, fill the metal cages right at the splitter, handle the cages with a forklift from splitter, within greenhouse and onto the trailer going to the firebox... and then have to handle the wood again between metal pallet mounted cage and firebox.

My other less expensive idea would take more space. I tried this small scale when I lived in central North Carolina with encouraging results, but some tweaking would be in order. What I did was lay down a tarp folded in half on the ground, so double thickness tarp. Then I tossed green splits on it, being kinda careful not to puncture, but not stacking at all, just piling the splits. Just heaped up. Then I took some smaller long branches from the slash cut and arranged them kinda like rafters on the heap of splits, or like the poles on a tent. I didn't go crazy with workmanship on this. It was late summer, 2007 I think, I was up to my ears in green wood for next winter and figured it was worth a try. Then I spread a layer of clear plastic over all that like a kiln roof, and then a few more long skinny branches to hold the plastic down. I want to guess that was September 2007. I don't remember when temps dropped below freezing that year, but the wood in that heap was the first stuff dry enough to burn in the summer of 2008.

With that latter option I think it would have done better if I had put some kind of hole in the top to let hot humid air out, but oriented somehow that rain couldn't fall down in. Like just a section of 6" stove pipe stuck through a 6" hole in the plastic and laid on top of the heap horizontally. Hot humid air out, no rain in, Bob's your uncle. With this option Rockey could just drag his splitter down the folded tarp as his splits piled up behind him, then toss into a trailer after seasoning, and then handle from trailer to firebox. Dimensions would be limited by local commonly available materials.

I got this idea from the silage tubes you see lying on the ground on dairy farms. There's miles and miles of them visible from the interstate in some areas. I asked about them once at a gas station surrounded by them, the old guy behind the register said the stuff inside will still be warm in dead of winter.

I had another idea about storage sizing. My baseboard system runs at 27 psi, the boiler kicks on when the water in the system is down to 140dF and kicks off when the water in the system is back up to 180dF. I could look at my oil bill to figure out how many BTUs the boiler is going through within those parameters. It ought to be a fairly simple math problem to solve at say +10dF Rockey's log cabin will go through x many BTUs, but he only has time to operate the OWB twice so he needs y gallons of storage and he needs to heat them up to z dF to get through 24 hours of calls from the hot water circuits in the house. I bet an engineering graduate still making loan payments would solve that math problem for two pizzas and a six pack of beer.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I have been stewing on this a few days now, and I am in a way different climate at 64 degrees north latitude, so grab your salt grains...

I process 12-15 cords of green wood annually. I keep 10, give the rest away on my karma account. The ten I keep lose about 18% volume while seasoning, so my ten green cords becomes eight seasoned cords. I think of my self as a small time operator. I am kinda at the limit for being small time, but really I am in the same weight class as the guys burning 2-3 cords annually. Other than an electric splitter and a 16" chainsaw I do it all by hand. I don't have any kids home to help, I don't have any hired help, Just me. I do have a pickemup truck as a DD, but no dump trailer or log skidder...

OTOH I do maybe have a little better handle on the reality of burning 20-30 cords per year since it's only 2-3x what I am doing, compared to many other small time operators.

@Rockey , more power to you filling the apex of the roof of that shed once, but I think it will be time consuming enough that you won't bother doing it twice.

If I was going to triple my annual through put, I would absolutely go to a firebox with a loading door on the outside of the house. Carrying that much wood through the house in a season, even a nice long one like mine, would be an insane waste of time. 30 cords in 6 months for my season, 5 cords a month, coming through a man door into the house one armload at a time, no way.

I would probably start with an ATV and large trailer so I could bring a boxfull of wood to the firebox in one trip, and then just have to toss it in. A front end loader would be really tempting, maybe tractor mounted with a backhoe on the back for balance and then drag a bush hog with the same tractor in summer. After the wife approved the tractor purchase there would be an ATV on the property...

At ten cords annually, I don't stack any more. It is too time consuming. My kiln modules are at 8 feet long max specifically so I can just dump the wood in there, get the ends of all the splits kinda flush and go on. Much over 8 feet between uprights the stacks tend to fall over as they season, and I HATE having to restack firewood in fishing season. Or camping season. Or hunting season, really, I pretty much hate having to stack wood twice no matter what, but it is especially odious in the summer months.

For 3x my current volume, no more stacking. Somehow my splits would not be touched by hand again from coming off the splitter to going in the firebox. I have thought of two options.

One option would be those metal cages that fit on pallets. There is a name for them that I don't remember. I doubt they hold more than about 42 cuft, Rockey would need 60 to 90 of them. With that kind of setup he could build a spacious greenhouse for plants that would improve the eventual resale value of the property, put in an overhead door, operate it as a wood drying kiln, fill the metal cages right at the splitter, handle the cages with a forklift from splitter, within greenhouse and onto the trailer going to the firebox... and then have to handle the wood again between metal pallet mounted cage and firebox.

My other less expensive idea would take more space. I tried this small scale when I lived in central North Carolina with encouraging results, but some tweaking would be in order. What I did was lay down a tarp folded in half on the ground, so double thickness tarp. Then I tossed green splits on it, being kinda careful not to puncture, but not stacking at all, just piling the splits. Just heaped up. Then I took some smaller long branches from the slash cut and arranged them kinda like rafters on the heap of splits, or like the poles on a tent. I didn't go crazy with workmanship on this. It was late summer, 2007 I think, I was up to my ears in green wood for next winter and figured it was worth a try. Then I spread a layer of clear plastic over all that like a kiln roof, and then a few more long skinny branches to hold the plastic down. I want to guess that was September 2007. I don't remember when temps dropped below freezing that year, but the wood in that heap was the first stuff dry enough to burn in the summer of 2008.

With that latter option I think it would have done better if I had put some kind of hole in the top to let hot humid air out, but oriented somehow that rain couldn't fall down in. Like just a section of 6" stove pipe stuck through a 6" hole in the plastic and laid on top of the heap horizontally. Hot humid air out, no rain in, Bob's your uncle. With this option Rockey could just drag his splitter down the folded tarp as his splits piled up behind him, then toss into a trailer after seasoning, and then handle from trailer to firebox. Dimensions would be limited by local commonly available materials.

I got this idea from the silage tubes you see lying on the ground on dairy farms. There's miles and miles of them visible from the interstate in some areas. I asked about them once at a gas station surrounded by them, the old guy behind the register said the stuff inside will still be warm in dead of winter.

I had another idea about storage sizing. My baseboard system runs at 27 psi, the boiler kicks on when the water in the system is down to 140dF and kicks off when the water in the system is back up to 180dF. I could look at my oil bill to figure out how many BTUs the boiler is going through within those parameters. It ought to be a fairly simple math problem to solve at say +10dF Rockey's log cabin will go through x many BTUs, but he only has time to operate the OWB twice so he needs y gallons of storage and he needs to heat them up to z dF to get through 24 hours of calls from the hot water circuits in the house. I bet an engineering graduate still making loan payments would solve that math problem for two pizzas and a six pack of beer.
Well, this brings us to the point of: Is this really all worth it, and, how many years of this before one grows weary of the slog.

If one has an obsessive/compulsive personality (and I suspect that many of us here, including me, have this to one degree or another), this is about as healthy as way to feed it as possible.

On the other hand, if one has the resources to afford any other alternative, I suspect that all but the most obsessed would not do this for more than a few years.

I'd personally look into a biomass burner that accepts wood chips and figure out a way to automate the movement of the chips and feeding of the beast, rather than stack and move 20-30 cords annually, were I stuck on heating a mansion in the lower 48 with free wood.

You could probably even set up a personal cogeneration plant to not only get your heat from the wood, but also your electricity. I believe that is the theme for next year's wood stove design challenge.

How many times a day do you load your boiler? Have you considered a top loader?

Well, this brings us to the point of: Is this really all worth it, and, how many years of this before one grows weary of the slog.

If one has an obsessive/compulsive personality (and I suspect that many of us here, including me, have this to one degree or another), this is about as healthy as way to feed it as possible.

On the other hand, if one has the resources to afford any other alternative, I suspect that all but the most obsessed would not do this for more than a few years.

I'd personally look into a biomass burner that accepts wood chips and figure out a way to automate the movement of the chips and feeding of the beast, rather than stack and move 20-30 cords annually, were I stuck on heating a mansion in the lower 48 with free wood.

You could probably even set up a personal cogeneration plant to not only get your heat from the wood, but also your electricity. I believe that is the theme for next year's wood stove design challenge.
A local greenhouse has this type f setup, quite impressive. They have a beautiful chip boiler (can't remember the manufacturer right now) that is automatically fed from a large hopper right outside the building. They installed storage so they could burn and use storage at night, leveraging solar gain during day - this allowed them to go with the smaller boiler and save a ton on equipment cost. The hopper gets loaded with a front end loader. The built 2 "greenhouses, kind of hoop buildings with some type of plastic cover, to store the chips. Local tree companies are happy to drop off chips for free. They just keep mixing the chips with the loader to keep them drying. If you have the need for that much heat and the space to accommodate it, very impressive!

Regarding the obsessive/compulsive thing. I am in Sales and if I ever put the energy into my job that I put into my wood I would get a 25x return. That being said I would spend 50x with a psychiatrist so I think I am ahead of the game:).

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
A local greenhouse has this type f setup, quite impressive. They have a beautiful chip boiler (can't remember the manufacturer right now) that is automatically fed from a large hopper right outside the building. They installed storage so they could burn and use storage at night, leveraging solar gain during day - this allowed them to go with the smaller boiler and save a ton on equipment cost. The hopper gets loaded with a front end loader. The built 2 "greenhouses, kind of hoop buildings with some type of plastic cover, to store the chips. Local tree companies are happy to drop off chips for free. They just keep mixing the chips with the loader to keep them drying. If you have the need for that much heat and the space to accommodate it, very impressive!

Regarding the obsessive/compulsive thing. I am in Sales and if I ever put the energy into my job that I put into my wood I would get a 25x return. That being said I would spend 50x with a psychiatrist so I think I am ahead of the game:).
Yep, totally understand. We only have one life to live, and most of us earn a living doing what we have to, rather than what we want to do. If we could just line those two things up...

Reactions: JohnDolz
Here is a pic my cousin took with his drone over Thanksgiving. the boiler isnt much to look at, over 13 years old now but the firebox is pretty impressive. Ill take a picture of it about half full when I get back from my business trip about midweek.

View attachment 217073

Do you use the garage as an actual garage? I think if that was my place and I wanted to heat it with wood, I would turn one of those bays into a boiler room, put a gasifying indoor boiler in there plus 2000 gallons of storage plus the winters wood. Or if the garage is out, another outbuilding for all that not far from the house - but might be more apt to build a new detached garage for vehicles & turn that attached space into a boiler/storage/wood room. You would see a big decrease in wood consumption, meaning the 2-3 years ahead you have on your radar now might be 4-6 instead. Reducing annual wood use is something I am really appreciating after being at it for this long...

Wow, some seriously good comments and suggestions here. Im going to have to give some serious thought about which direction would be the best to go in. Im still planning on doing the kiln because Im really interested in the results and it should be that hard to do. I forgot about a 40' cargo container I have down at my buddy's in Louisville. I think it would be too expensive to have it hauled up here but who knows. I really appreciate all the input so far and need to take some time to address all the questions individually when I have more time.