An (hopefully) easy question on VC Winter Warm Large.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

3_Limes

Dec 5, 2016
MontCo, PA
Good afternoon folks! And thanks for putting this nice site together!

I've just recently acquired a lightly used VC WWL from a family member who's starting to downsize for retirement. In the last week one of my sons and I have been able to extract it from it's original home and get it into our fireplace, and we're now trying to learn it's 'ins and outs' (We've had a small Quad for a few years, and I've done a little hobby blacksmithing so I'm familiar w/ stuff that gets hot and sooty.)

My question is (I think) very specific to this stove, which I believe to be one of the older WWs, bought in the mid-late 90's. When we were disassembling the stove for transport at my Aunt's house I noticed that on the left side of the fire box, between it and the sheet-metal shrouding was a square, 1 to 1.5 inch deep square housing about 4.5 inches square. I assumed this to be some kind of air intake damper because it was linked to the main air control lever on the front bezel. When I first noticed it I also noted that it had some kind of a cast iron plate or stopper inside of it that I could easily move with my fingers through an opening at the bottom of the enclosure.

Now that I've got it home and in my fireplace, I now observe that this once mobile piece of iron seems stuck fast inside this enclosure and can no longer be moved by hand regardless of the position of the air flow control lever. It's covering the opening that used to be at the bottom of the little enclosure and it refuses to move. (I found an exploded part diagram ion line that labels the enclosure as " PRIMARY AIR BOX (1301281)", if that helps.)

What I want you to tell me is: should I be alarmed about this? Or is this how it's supposed to be? Should I refrain from burning until this gets sorted?

Thanks in advance for any light an WWL owner/servicer can shed.

(And in case anybody is curious, I was able to test burn last night w/ the door slightly ajar to see if I had draft and honestly, the old girl impressed me. Very strong draft, nice healthy fire and a whole lot of heat!! Even w/out the internal fans energized. I'll see if I can go w/ the door closed tonight and get her into range to open the Cat. Converter. I'll report back on that if anybody is interested. But please do let me know what's up w/ this valve that I'm worried about.)

Thanks!!

Did you remove the fireback and inspect the cat and the combustion box? These stoves are very parts heavy and often problematic. Some parts are becoming obsolete as well.

Did you remove the fireback and inspect the cat and the combustion box? These stoves are very parts heavy and often problematic. Some parts are becoming obsolete as well.

I didn't. But this girl has had very light use and was probably over-maintained (if there is such a thing) so I'm not deeply concerned about significant internal degradation. Unless it's got more to do w/ years than the number of cords you've burned. Mighty be a good idea to grab the important stuff while I can though. Thanks for the tip!

I didn't. But this girl has had very light use and was probably over-maintained (if there is such a thing) so I'm not deeply concerned about significant internal degradation. Unless it's got more to do w/ years than the number of cords you've burned. Mighty be a good idea to grab the important stuff while I can though. Thanks for the tip!
All you should really need to have on hand is:
Upper fireback/bypass damper assembly
Lower fireback
Catalyst
Combustion box with cat cover
Floor with Andirons
Secondary air probe
App. 30' of 7/16" gasket and cement

With the door open, look closely around the door latch. There is typically a crack in the face that starts at the hole for the latch.

All you should really need to have on hand is:
Upper fireback/bypass damper assembly
Lower fireback
Catalyst
Combustion box with cat cover
Floor with Andirons
Secondary air probe
App. 30' of 7/16" gasket and cement

With the door open, look closely around the door latch. There is typically a crack in the face that starts at the hole for the latch.

I also have a Large Winter Warm has worked well for many years, But have current issue with damper door will not open or close. I think there a pin on bolt near damper door that fell off? Has anyone run into this issue?

I used to have this insert, but its been quite a while. I think there is retainer that keeps the damper rod in contact with the arm. I will upload the users manual and you can see the parts on pages 38 & 39. Good luck and hope this helps.

Attachments

• VC-WB-WinterWarmLge.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 403
Status
Not open for further replies.