Keep or toss VC resolute acclaim 2490 . . replacement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hondochica

Oct 9, 2017
Divide, CO
Greetings; Been gone for awhile - so haven't used my RA 2490 in about 5 years. Bought it used - knew (know) next to nothing about wood stoves. So trying to get it working this year I find I am having issues with air control and getting a fire going. wood I am 'trying' to burn has been split and stacked for 5 years - if it ain't dry now - it never will be! Am wondering if I should put the time/$/effort into repairing this stove or if I should cut my losses and look for a new stove. Am trying to heat an 1100 sq. ft manufactured home that is pretty well insulated. Here's what's up with the stove in its current condition:
1) very small crack in the glass at the very edge.
2) combustion package has certainly seen better days - holes at the bottom are 'worn away'; was going to post a photo - but don't want to take out the rear fire bricks again cuz:
3) rear fire bricks: one is cracked and missing a small piece of the brick at the center edge - not sure how much this matters
4) cracks in the L and R fire bricks; one is very close to falling apart
5) air control valve (name?; lever at the bottom of the stove) does not seem to be operating. I can't keep a fire lit w/o the air controller in the 'start' (full right) position all the time, and even then it's tough.
6) minor, minor smoke leak somewhere, only noticeable after a few hours of burn time - possibly only common gasket replacements but maybe full breakdown and reseal?? 'smoke test' revealed nothing; light in the stove in a dark room shows no 'leaks'.

Quite frankly - I don't have the time, energy or interest in rebuilding this stove or troubleshooting it. Unless you think a few tweaks might be all it needs. I'm in the middle of a house overhaul that really needs all of my time and energy. I 'might' be able to find someone local to do it for me if you think it's more cost effective - tough call - I realize.

IF I opt to replace it - recommendations for a suitable, somewhat inexpensive stove that could also heat a 1400 sq ft house - as I'll likely take the stove with me when I move in a year or two.

thanks for your time and input

Kelly
9000 ft Colorado (hopefully moving to 7000-8000 ft, and a little farther south, in the future)

This doesn't sound like something that's fixable with a few tweaks. It sounds like it's ready for a complete rebuild. Most likely the combustion package has degraded badly along with the side bricks. The parts cost will be above $700.

Look for something in the 2 cu ft range. There are good new stoves under $2000 from SBI (Drolet & Englander) and True North (TN20). I would sell the VC for $300 and apply that to a new stove unless a good used stove shows up soon.

Thanks so much for your comments - I was thinking the same thing. This has become a very expensive year for me - another $1500k (maybe a lot less, doing a quick search) certainly isn't helping. But in the long term - an investment that will certainly pay off (knocking on wood so as not to jinx the universe)!

Last edited:
So . . I was thinking about how much area I will likely be heating with the wood stove. The house is 1100 sq ft (+-), but the area I'm heating is really only about 800. maybe that doesn't matter that much. Given the configuration of the house - the bedrooms will mostly/entirely (in the dead cold of winter) be heated by my furnace - with the main living area vents closed. Not sure I could get the heat from the stove back into the bedrooms - down the hallway.

In the @ 2.0 cu ft box range - I'm seeing up to 1200 sq ft (@ 1.8 cu ft, 'small') or up to 1800 sq ft (@ 2.4 cu ft 'med'). Maybe I'm getting too detailed with this - but really - it's my first stove. should I lean larger or smaller? If I lean larger (in anticipation of taking the stove with me to a slightly larger house) is it a problem using a larger stove to heat a smaller area?

thanks again
Kelly

It depends on how much one depends on the stove. For 24/7 heating it helps to err on the larger side. For evening and weekend fires a smaller fire may be fine. In this range, N/S loading is more important for me. That allows one to use the full capacity of the firebox without worrying if a log is going to roll up against the glass.