An indoor chimney cap?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skier76

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 14, 2009
CT and SoVT
Really...I'm going somewhere with this.

At some point, our weekend house(a-frame) had a chimney exiting the center of the peak of the roof. It's no longer in that location. This past weekend, I took down some ceiling tiles someone had put in the loft; and that exposed part of the old chimney setup. It appears to be a roughly 24" section of Metalbestos piping. Right now, when you look up, you see the base of the exposed pipe and the pink insulation someone stuffed in there. Is there some type of cap or plug I could get for it? I just need something to make it look "OK" for the time being. I'm thinking next spring I'll have a roofer come out, remove it and cap over the area where the pipe was. There's no way I'm getting up there...that roof is steep!

The pipe has a 9.25" outside diamter and those Metalbestos style "tabs" for linking the sections of pipe together.

Aluminum foil and metal tape?

You know...that may work. I have a some spare flashing laying around. If I can cut that into a halfway decent circle, I could use foil tape to hold it up.

Worked perfectly! I now call it the "Jiffy Pipe" since it kinda looks like JiffyPop. :lol:

You know.....I recall from my youger days that my Granny had tin flue covers on all the terracotta chimney inlets. You know, after they moved away from individual stoves to a central coal burner. They looked like pie plates and had metal prongs for gripping the inside of the inlet. (As kids we liked to take them off and listent to the chimney swifts making a racket. Don't know if they still make them, but they gripped hard enough that they would hang upside down I"m betting. Is that sort of what you're thinking?

I've seen those before! They're somwhat decorative. While the foil isn't eaxlty decorative, it works for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.