Anchoring your wood stacks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SawdustSA

Burning Hunk
Apr 1, 2014
Eastern Cape, South Africa
I moved to a new house and took my firewood with me. I had 9 Holzhausens which I now want to single row stack. This will take a while though.

The area that I will be using have bricks walls as boundary walls. Some of these are quite high. My firewood is cut fairly short due to my stove size, 12-14 inch. The length, or the lack thereof, makes it unstable in single rows. I want to stack the wood against these walls. I know it will not get cross airflow but the wood is already fairly well seasoned.

Before, I used to put some screws into the brick wall and tie a piece of wood to it with thin wire. This is then used to anchor the rows to the wall. This would be done at certain distances. It seems to work ok and not look too bad.

I suppose I could also go 2 rows deep since my splits are so short. What other ways are there to anchor/support the rows to a wall to prevent collapse?

You moved nine holzhausens? If I sell this place the wood is gonna convey with the property.

If it is already well seasoned, why not build a shed and lean it against the walls?

I have a lean to carport which I will use to keep wood for immediate use, but the rest will be scattered around the property since it will take up too much space if all stacked together.

After all the work I put into getting this wood last year, no way I was going to leave it behind.

Edit: These were only 1cord HH each. Not big ones. Then there was also my woodshed and single stacks which had to be moved. Not forgetting the ugly stack.

What is a Holzhausens?

They are round piles.
holzhausen.jpg

I would go two rows deep and just angle them a bit so they lean towards the wall.

Reactions: pen
Why not use the wall as and end for the wood pile, and stack perpendicular rows to it. You could even do it on a taper from taller at the wall and lower on the other end. Additionally, you could leave more space and get more airflow in this setup.

You vil stack ze wood in a circle!

Why not use the wall as and end for the wood pile, and stack perpendicular rows to it. You could even do it on a taper from taller at the wall and lower on the other end. Additionally, you could leave more space and get more airflow in this setup.

Wisdom, Blues Brother.

Reactions: pen
I finally got around to start with the re-stacking. This is what I have done to make the stacks more stable against the wall. The wife packed the one on the left and it fell over after some strong wind. The way it is anchored now, I think should make it much more stable. The stacks are around 7 feet high on the photos.

I like the idea of stacking perpendicular against the wall. I was even thinking of using the idea to still stack against the wall but then to add some short rows perpendicular to it to make "buttresses" to support it. This will just make mowing the lawn more difficult.

The idea is to cover all the walls in this area of the backyard with wood.

Attachments

• 20150810_144203.jpg
    20150810_144203.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 165
  • 20150810_175200.jpg
    20150810_175200.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 177
  • 20150810_175232.jpg
    20150810_175232.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 162
It looks like you can't go wrong with columns built into the wall like that! Convenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.