And God created wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimJ

Minister of Fire
Apr 10, 2012
Southeast Indiana
And it was good.
It's all BTU's and it all burns. keeping that in mind I cut wood this summer that I would have left alone if not for this site and what I have learned. I cut a variety of species this spring and summer and now this weekend I cut split and stacked some maple that had come down and also dropped a beech and cut a round off of that and split it. Both species are beautiful to split and cut. I have not had one species that I did not like. I like all the different varieties. They all have there own unique qualities. Pictured below is some maple that I cut and stacked right where I cut it. I will retrieve it later. Also I am stacking the beech right where I dropped it and will retrieve that later. One round of the beech yielded six big splits.Both woods will be shoulder wood for next winter.

Attachments

• bearded asil hen 127.jpg
    bearded asil hen 127.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 183
  • bearded asil hen 128.jpg
    bearded asil hen 128.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 193
  • bearded asil hen 130.jpg
    bearded asil hen 130.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 160
  • bearded asil hen 131.jpg
    bearded asil hen 131.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 185
Nice work TimJ, but the beech you will want to save for your coldest months. If the maple you grabbed is sugar then stick that in the same stacks with the beech.

Shoulder season wood here is white pine,hemlock and quaking aspen. After that we burn cherry if we have it with the beech,sugar maple and ironwood for the colder months.

zap

+1
gotta agree with zap.

i don't get to burn much but i would covet my neighbors beech if i could.

Reactions: ScotO
Sometime we can't predict what mother nature gives us. I am way ahead on hickory and oak and will be cutting alot more this winter. That is the wood I will be burner during the colder periods. I know that beech and maple are good burning woods but I am fortunate to have the oak. I'm only cutting the dead standing or fallen trees on the place. I have a huge downed maple that I will be getting in the fall. I think I might be turning into one of those crazy guys that cuts up too much wood.

Attachments

• bearded asil hen 133.jpg
    bearded asil hen 133.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 167
Sometime we can't predict what mother nature gives us. I am way ahead on hickory and oak and will be cutting alot more this winter. That is the wood I will be burner during the colder periods. I know that beech and maple are good burning woods but I am fortunate to have the oak. I'm only cutting the dead standing or fallen trees on the place. I have a huge downed maple that I will be getting in the fall. I think I might be turning into one of those crazy guys that cuts up too much wood.

Tim, I would not save that wood pictured for the colder month. That is shoulder season wood and it surely doesn't look like any beech I've ever seen. Sorry about that, but maybe I'm pie-eyed right now.

Reactions: zap
Hate to disagree Backwoods. But that last tree looks like any one of the fifty or sixty Beech trees on this place. Great firewood. I could burn seasoned Beech happily the rest of my life. But the things just don't die and don't blow down like the oaks.

Man, your beech look a whole lot different than ours...

I don't know what the tree is in the first pics, but that last pic a few posts down is American Beech. Pretty much an east coast tree.

Edit: I have some huge ones. The biggest one has a slightly smaller one ten or fifteen feet away. I have always called them Beech and Son of Beech. At one time I wanted to build a deck down there in the woods under them. They are in the middle of the place. Glad I didn't. The tornado dropped a huge limb off of Beech right where it would have been.

The beech looks "punky" that seems to turn bad quickly!

Beech is in the Oak family. And none of those pics look like Beech to me either? Beech has smooth bark?? That trunk pic looks like ash or something that in not thinking of right now, and the piles look like maple to me.

The last pic looks exactly like the beech I cut. The smell is what gives it away!

Tim, I would not save that wood pictured for the colder month. That is shoulder season wood and it surely doesn't look like any beech I've ever seen. Sorry about that, but maybe I'm pie-eyed right now.
Pic 133 looks like what I call bigtooth aspen, pic 130 also looks like bigtooth aspen. We do not have oak so could 130 could be oak?

zap

Dennis, it's beech
Jack, the tree is good. The top blew out because it was deseased as you can see in that one round. No punk in the wood

Reactions: ScotO
Oh, that's great! I've left some laying on the ground cause they were so rotten! It's really good wood!

Okay Tim. I've said it before and will again. It is tough IDing with pictures, but it sure looks like common popple that we have around here. Beech is much smoother bark and a different color too. Good luck. Whatever it is, it will burn.

Reactions: zap
Beech is in the Oak family. And none of those pics look like Beech to me either? Beech has smooth bark?? That trunk pic looks like ash or something that in not thinking of right now, and the piles look like maple to me.
Clemsonfor, the first two pictures are maple
The down tree is a beech
The few splits are from the beech

Looks like a really big beech in the pics, mine don't get very big and none of them are straight!

Th downed tree is not a beech, I'll side with the Sav. I'll grab a picture tomorrow night of some beech.

zap

When will we have a smell app? Well maybe that isn't a good idea!

I have many beech. I got about 50 rounds out of this beech. The diamter is only 18" to 20" but did not lose much in diamter from the first round to the last. Jack, as Brother Bart has stated, beech get very big. In fact, one of the biggest trees on the place is a beech. Zap we live far enough apart that our trees are different from one another. Don't know what a bigtooth aspen is but I do know what a beech is :rolleyes:

TimJ, this is the Beech we have on our property.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4854.JPG
    100_4854.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 157
  • 100_4855.JPG
    100_4855.JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 145
It's all BTU's
I see 3 different barks, but if it has beech nuts & squirrels , it's beech.
Smooth bark in SWest PA & WV area.
Beech tree were alway a great place to squirrel hunt for me many years ago :)

pic 133 looks more like aspen to me, too, especially with the little horizontal dark patches
I wish my beech grew straight and tall like that. Got some big ones dead and falling too far to get to in the woods but they are not pencil straight and the bark is just one even color of grey

TimJ, what type of Beech is it ?

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.