And God created wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Out in the open sun they will spread. The one in the back yard is seventy feet tall but I have to keep cutting the new branches off of it ten feet from the ground. They keep popping out. It is American Beech zap. Fagus grandifolia

American beech:
"the bark is often mottled and will remain smooth throughout the tree's life."
https://www.msu.edu/user/walkert7/te402.htm

beech tree.jpg

Zap, your beech looks just like mine. Remember, this beech was suffering. The top broke out and at the point of the brake it was hollow. The tree is 100% solid from that point down. The bark could have loosened some. I don't know how long it was in this condition before the storm got to it. It will make alot of nice burning wood.

TimJ, what type of Beech is it ?

zap

Just 1 species native to North America,fagus grandifolia.Sometimes years ago European Beech- fagus sylvestris was planted for shade in some areas.The trees might vary a little in appearance,but the wood is pretty much the same,with European being a bit more dimensionally stable in terms of warping,splitting & shrinkage during the drying process.One reason its favored over American for heavyweight traditional cabinetmaker's benches.

Poplar has greenish dark heart wood. It looks like the beech around here to me.

Beech is in the Oak family. And none of those pics look like Beech to me either? Beech has smooth bark?? That trunk pic looks like ash or something that in not thinking of right now, and the piles look like maple to me.

hmmmm....

the downed tree in the top photos looks like tulip poplar. its bark is furrowed and beech does not have furrows.

the one that's cut further down into rounds has lenticles on the bark. beech does not have have lenticles.

just thowing in my .02

OT

Reactions: zap
Hand split the bulk of the beech this morning. It did not take long and it split like a dream. I started from the outside in. Using this method I was able to hand split some squares. I blocked up the ends of my stack using these inside pieces. I stacked it just where I dropped the tree and will leave it there until the fall of 2013. Next week I am after a good size maple that has been down a few years but it not laying on the ground. Hope to see solid wood. There will be plenty.

Attachments

• bearded asil hen 136.jpg
    bearded asil hen 136.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 99
  • bearded asil hen 138.jpg
    bearded asil hen 138.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 122
Reactions: Lakeside
Does not look like any beech I've ever seen. Beech bark around here in New England is smooth and tight.
Hmmm... nice beech.
I use to stack it by species like Zap but after restacking my pile once I learned quickly to stack chronologically.
Except for oak which stays in its stack for an extra year at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.