Angled stove connector, insulation wrap and 1 inch gap question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

angled

Oct 5, 2011
Stevensville MD
This is my first post! I've been reading through the forum since I bought my Morso 1710 insert. I've gotten a lot of great information that has helped me insulate the flex liner and construct and install the block plate in the flue. I've run into a problem. The flex pipe coming down the chimney runs at a slight angle to the stove. I can't get the adapter to sit flat in the stove. Is this a situation where I should used a 30 degree adapter?
Also, I could not get my insulation to overlap by an inch after I wrapped the pipe. The ends met but there was no overlap. I'm thinking the place I bought the stove from gave me the wrong insulation size. I already sprayed the glue on the insulation and began wrapping the pipe when I realized it was not overlapping. I ran a couple extra lengths of duct tape to make sure the insulation was properly secured. How big of a deal is the 1 inch overlap on the insulation and the extra tape?

Last question! I have about a 1 inch gap between the flex liner and the block plate opening. Any suggestions for filling in a 1 inch gap? Its too large for just RTV sealant.

Thank you for the help!

Attachments

• angled connector.jpg
    angled connector.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 382
My biggest concern is the angle that is leading into the stove. The 30 degree angled connector should resolve the problem so the connector sits down in the stove collar.

angled said:
This is my first post! I've been reading through the forum since I bought my Morso 1710 insert. I've gotten a lot of great information that has helped me insulate the flex liner and construct and install the block plate in the flue. I've run into a problem. The flex pipe coming down the chimney runs at a slight angle to the stove. I can't get the adapter to sit flat in the stove. Is this a situation where I should used a 30 degree adapter?
Also, I could not get my insulation to overlap by an inch after I wrapped the pipe. The ends met but there was no overlap. I'm thinking the place I bought the stove from gave me the wrong insulation size. I already sprayed the glue on the insulation and began wrapping the pipe when I realized it was not overlapping. I ran a couple extra lengths of duct tape to make sure the insulation was properly secured. How big of a deal is the 1 inch overlap on the insulation and the extra tape?

Last question! I have about a 1 inch gap between the flex liner and the block plate opening. Any suggestions for filling in a 1 inch gap? Its too large for just RTV sealant.

Thank you for the help!

Welcome,
The angle on the photo only looks like it is maybe a 1/2" difference between the front and back. If you put 3 screws into the stove adpt. you will be fine. As long as do not see any big gaps. I would say that even a 15 degree elbow would make it worse.
As far as the overlap. Did the insulation at least meet each other? And I hope you didn't use duct tape!
The gap at the block plate I would just use some ceramic wool.
Have a good burn season and enjoy.

There was about a 1/2 inch gap between the two sides of the insulation. I used HVAC foil tape to secure the two sides not duct tape. There are only two screw holes on the cast iron stove collar. That is part of the problem. When I use the screws that were provided by Morso to secure the flex liner adapter to the two holes in the stove the adapter ovalizes slightly and the front side settles at the angle shown in the photo. Do I drill a new hole in the front of the stove collar and use slighly longer screws than what were provided? The provided screws only go in two threads before the collar on the flex liner starts to ovalize. There is a gap between the flex liner adapter and the stove collar. Morso provides fire rope and recommends cement to seal the gap.
Thank you for the help!!!

Could you trim the hole in your block off plate to allow the liner to shift a little bit?

Success! I pulled the stove out, bent the back portion of the flue block hole and stuck my arm up the flex liner and I was able to get more leverage to bend the pipe for a level fit at the stove opening

Any MAJOR conerns over a 1/2 inch gap between the ends of the flex liner insulation? I had a 1/2 inch gap running the length of the insluation before I secured the insulation with the HVAC foil tape. The flex liner runs up a masonary/terra cotta flue so there are no combustables anywhere. I guess the only concern would be even heating of the pipe?

Thanks again!

Did you use Roxul or any type of fireproof insulation on top of the block off plate? If so just fill it in with that and it will be fine.

The insulation should overlap about an inch. Foil tape is not high temp rated (only 200F short term rated) and should not be in contact with the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.