Annual chimney cleaning results

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

precaud

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny New Mexico
www.linearz.com
yawn... exciting topic, eh? Well the main liner got brushed today, and I was impressed to see that, despite using a bit more wood than last season (colder winter), the pipe was cleaner. It filled 1/2 of a small plastic walmart bag and weighed 7.7 oz. Not bad for 1.75 cords of (gasp!) pinon pine (which some say doesn't burn clean). Last season a mid-winter cleaning yielded more creosote than the whole year did this time.

What made the difference? Last year I had three different stoves on the hearth; this year the Quad 2100M carried almost the whole season. And this year my wood supply was cut and split the proper size for the Quad. It definitely likes larger pieces than the Morso or Jotul did.

Same as last year, most of the creosote was concentrated in the lower half of the stack. And again the cap required no cleaning. Perhaps benefits of an over-insulated liner. At any rate, it's clear that annual cleanings are all that's required for this setup.

That Quad is one clean burning machine.

I'll second that opinion on the Quad. I haven't actually swept our chimney yet, but I opened up the tee at the bottom to get an idea what kind if job I was looking at. After about 4 cords of wood, that flue looks like it could take about another couple cords without too much problem. The chimney cap is still kinda shiny! Mebbe I will get around to posting pictures when I get around to sweeping it, but I suspect that it will be a rather boring thread.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.