try a larger chimney brush?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Megunticook

Apr 8, 2012
Maine
A local mason and his crew built our chimney when we built our house twenty years ago. They had the best reputation in the area (Knox County Maine) and a lot of experience.

Anyway they installed an 8-inch square flue which serves a Vermont Castings Encore 2550 stove. At the time I asked him to sell me a chimney brush and poles for cleaning, he set me up with an 8-inch square brush. The first time I used it I noticed it wasn't a tight fit all the way up, which made me wonder whether I should have a bigger size. I asked the owner (a mason himself) and he said no, don't go any bigger than that.

I've always sort of wondered about that, as it seems like the brush might be leaving some creosote on the flue walls. As a former firefighter, I know the danger but my understanding is creosote can ignite when it starts to accumulate to 1/8" or more, but a very thin layer isn't an issue.

From shining a light up (or down) my chimney it doesn't look like I have much creosote in there and I generally get about 1/2-1 gallon of black loose soot in the cleanout after the annual brushing, so I haven't lost a lot of sleep over it, but it still seems like the brush should be a slight resistance fit. And to be honest I can't really see the middle part of the chimney all that well (it's 30 feet tall).

Would be curious to hear opinions.

For what it's worth, we burn seasoned hardwood and use the cat most of the time, stove is primary source of heat so runs often during winter.

When I used a metal, square brush it was a very tight fit.

Have you tried the rotary cleaners?

They do a great job on soot.

A lot of us here use the Sooteater brand rotary tool. Not very expensive works great can be trimmed to whatever size you need. Easy on the shoulders.

How would a rotary tool work in a square flue? Seems like the 4 corners wouldn't get cleaned but maybe I don't understand how a rotary brush works.

That’s a goo
How would a rotary tool work in a square flue? Seems like the 4 corners wouldn't get cleaned but maybe I don't understand how a rotary brush works.
That’s a good point. Maybe keeping the “strings”on the rotary cleaner a little longer than needed with help clean up the corner. Just guessing though.

You need to run both directions in square or rectangle flues to get both sides of the corners. And don't trim the strings down at all just let them long. Even for round no reason to trim them

So the rotary will clean out the corners? I may give that a try at some point.

Measured my brush, it's 6" and the flue is 6 1/2" square (masons used 8" flue tile which apparently is outside dimension).

Maybe it would be worth checking out a 7" brush, although that may be a little tight at some of the joints.

So the rotary will clean out the corners? I may give that a try at some point.

Measured my brush, it's 6" and the flue is 6 1/2" square (masons used 8" flue tile which apparently is outside dimension).

Maybe it would be worth checking out a 7" brush, although that may be a little tight at some of the joints.
Don't get a new brush just run rotary. I haven't used a brush in probably 5 years now after getting our rotary setup

Does it attach to a portable drill? Are those rods flexible enough for me to clean the flue through the thimble opening or cleanout door?

Does it attach to a portable drill? Are those rods flexible enough for me to clean the flue through the thimble opening or cleanout door?
Yes and yes

I clean 40 to 50 chimneys a week during the heavy cleaning season. If it wasn't faster easier and better I wouldn't be using it