Help picking right chimney cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nerd

Oct 29, 2020
Aberdeen, Maryland
Hi Guys,
So I'm at my parents' and noticed they have NO chimney caps anymore...I'm utterly shocked this hasn't caused a problem. Anyway.... the one that has me asking questions is the 8" round chimney liner. I don't know the brand. I bought a beautiful 8" DuraVent cap that alas doesn't fit because it matches the diameter of the liner exactly.

I'm not entirely sure what to do. Should I finagle the Duravent cap on there with some sheet metal and hose clamps or is there a type of cap meant for this liner (something slightly over or undersized)? Again, I really wish I knew the liner brand...

The rectangular ones look like they'll be fine with the generic home depot caps (they are more forgiving size-wise). Those chimneys are just the furnace and unused fireplace upstairs.

Thanks for your help guys! I ran a brush down the liner today for good measure. As you can see we're still burnin' coal here in western Pa.

Chimneys.png

Last edited:
First thing I’m seeing, and then asking myself, is what is that “crown” made of.? Looks like a sheet of cement board. I would see what the pros on here think of that first before thinking about the cap for now.

First thing I’m seeing, and then asking myself, is what is that “crown” made of.? Looks like a sheet of cement board. I would see what the pros on here think of that first before thinking about the cap for now.
Yea I’m not sure what went down there. I gotta touch up that whole top this spring anyway. Most pressing thing (and easiest to fix) is the cap at the moment. I ordered a cap meant for single walled liners with a clamp on it so that should take care of that for now.

Some sparks came out when I had the ash tray open to dump the ashes, so I was hoping to get a spark arrester type like the Duravent one (which is actually meant for the double walled liners I’ve learned, but it sure was a beaut).

Got two of the caps on!

IMG_3392.jpeg

Yea I’m not sure what went down there. I gotta touch up that whole top this spring anyway. Most pressing thing (and easiest to fix) is the cap at the moment. I ordered a cap meant for single walled liners with a clamp on it so that should take care of that for now.

Some sparks came out when I had the ash tray open to dump the ashes, so I was hoping to get a spark arrester type like the Duravent one (which is actually meant for the double walled liners I’ve learned, but it sure was a beaut).

Got two of the caps on!

View attachment 322126
Make sure that any future spark arrester stays clean do it doesn’t cause lack of draft.