1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Annual Garden & Woodpile Views

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Eric Johnson, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    Here's my annual midsummer view of the woodpile from the garden.....

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Eric Johnson

Loc:
    Central NYS
    ......the garden from the woodpile......

Attached Files:

3. Eric Johnson

Loc:
    Central NYS
    .....and my tarping strategy this year for 17 cords.

Attached Files:

4. Harley

Harley Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ashfield, MA
    Very impressive, Eric
  5. Metal

Metal Minister of Fire

Your rabbits must be able to jump higher than the ones around here : )
  6. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Damn. I hate you about seven more cords than I did last year!
  7. Eric Johnson

Loc:
    Central NYS
    That's 24 cords, BB. I've got another 7 in the barn. The tarped section has 17 cords. My goal for the balance of the summer & fall is 10 more. Do the math and that's about 40 cords total, with another ten on the ground in the woods. I expect the new boiler to burn around ten, vs. the 16 or 18 I burned the past couple of winters. So things are looking up!

The rabbits aren't the problem. It's the (white-tail) long-eared locusts that give me problems. And that fence doesn't slow them down at all.

The fence is mainly a good place to hang sweaty work shirts, which seems to keep them away. That and creating enough clutter in the enclosure to where they don't want to risk jumping in. Spending time in the garden also helps, as I think our scent lingers and they're less inclined to raid a garden that's being actively managed.

Given my druthers, I'd use the garden for bait and live on venison roasted slowly over a bed of hardwood coals. That's Plan B.
  8. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    [quote author="Eric Johnson" date="1185242656"]That's 24 cords, BB. I've got another 7 in the barn. The tarped section has 17 cords. My goal for the balance of the summer & fall is 10 more. Do the math and that's about 40 cords total, with another ten on the ground in the woods. I expect the new boiler to burn around ten, vs. the 16 or 18 I burned the past couple of winters. So things are looking up!

[quote author="Metal" date="1185240370"]

40 Cords! Wow! Just think if you were in the firewood buisness and sold all that for say $200 per cord, that comes to $8000. That can pay for alot of oil, gas or whatever else to heat your place plus a profit. :coolgrin:
  9. ourhouse

ourhouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Franklin Ma
    Very nice Eric
  10. Eric Johnson

Loc:
    Central NYS
    I'm not sellin' nothin'!
  11. northwinds

northwinds Minister of Fire

Loc:
    south central WI
    I can't help but feel "inadequate" after viewing these woodpile pics. I'm going to have to go cut some more wood today.
  12. keyman512us

keyman512us Member

Loc:
    North Worc. CTY MA
    Nice Eric... Hows the plumbing coming along with the boiler (the extremely interesting part 'of the bigger picture') Cistern heat tank got water in it yet???

You keep stockpiling wood like that the local fire chief mgiht ask for a 'plan or permit'...lol ;)
  13. Eric Johnson

Loc:
    Central NYS
    Well, the 'plan' is to accumulate 4 years worth of free fuel by the time winter hits.

I'm plugging away at the plumbing, keyman. No water in the tank yet. I still have to get the liner straightened out, but the plumbing to and from the tank is hooked up. This weekend I have a couple of heat exchangers to pipe in, then yank the old boiler out of the boiler room and (tah dah!) order the new boiler. Should have 'er cranking out the btus by mid September. Figuring out the wiring is going to take me awhile. There's nothing fancy, it's just that it's wiring, and I'm me, so there will be plenty of head scratching and cussing getting everything hooked up right. Let's see, I've got four pumps, two aquastats, two transformers, two zone valves, a boiler and a low-water shut-off to wire up.
  14. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    If you have a bigger (nigher res) pic of that woodpile, upload it or PM it to me so I can use in on the Gallery!
  15. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    I'm with ya North. And he splits it all by hand. What I find frustrating is that I've likely put in the same splitting effort for my 8 cords as he did for 40. When Eric hits a piece of beach it splits. I on the other hand have to hit a piece of elm 10 times to get the chit to split.

While your in the posting picture mood Eric... how about the latest install pics of the water tank and new furnace?
  16. Eric Johnson

Loc:
    Central NYS
    The grass is always greener when it comes to splitting, Warren.

I just posted a progress pic on the boiler piping and wiring in the Gear forum. Not much to see on the tank. I've got it all piped in, but still need to get the liner straightened out and the rest of the concrete block laid. Right now I'm doing all the fun stuff.
  17. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    GEEZ! 40 cords? my kids would be burning that after im gone
  18. northwinds

Loc:
    south central WI
    I've got wood piles all over my 12 acres. Unfortunately, I've got an inefficient fireplace in a house that's on the market.
    As soon as that's sold, we will be building on the twelve acres. The new house will probably have a new wood stove
    on each floor. (main floor and walkout basement).

Attached Files:

19. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    New house? See Eric's thread on his new EKO.
  20. northwinds

Loc:
    south central WI
    I've been watching the eko discussion with interest, but my wife wants the fireplace or stove in the
    great room. She's worried I'm going to kick the bucket and leave her holding the bag on a complicated
    wood-burning hot water system. I'm guessing she thinks she can have the back-up forced air system
    keeping her warm before my body or the stove turns cold. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.