Another… Thinking about installing an indoor wood furnace (w/ pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

macattack_ga

Burning Hunk
Jan 2, 2013
Fairfax, VA
Thinking about replacing my older central A/C compressor and oil furnace with a reverse cycle heat pump and an add-on wood furnace.
My biggest question is: If I replace the oil burner, can I reuse its flue for the wood burner?
The flue is part of a center of the house / 2 flue masonry chimney in a well insulated <1500SQFT ranch. In the main floor fireplace is a Regency i2400 woodstove w/ stainless steel liner. The 2nd flue vents the oil burner in the finished basement’s large utility room.
I would guess I would need to relocate the air handler to the other side of the water heater.
Other than re-plumbing some of the ducts, would this be a pretty simple install?

Would I vent the wood furnace just like the oil furnace? How could I install a stainless liner?
DSC_0553.JPG
Yellow plug was a quick/easy way to power the furnace with a genny... Snowmageddon DC 2010.
DSC_0552.JPG DSC_0554.JPG

Yep, looks doable. Should be able to use that flue. Have it inspected, if it is in good shape, with a intact clay liner, you can use as is. If not, just drop a stainless liner with a tee kit down it. Pretty easy to do generally. Do your homework, figure out what wood furnace you are gonna get (get a good one, not just some cheap smoke dragon from the local farm or big box store) see what the flue requirements it has before buying a liner. Also watch the clearances on any furnace you look at (yeah, you will likely need to move the air handler) it looks like you may have limited head room like I did, that can cause headaches getting the supply duct clearances required on some furnaces.

>>stainless liner with a tee kit down it

That is what I was missing. Didn't know that was an option. Thank you!
And good call on the head room.

>>stainless liner with a tee kit down it

That is what I was missing. Didn't know that was an option. Thank you!
And good call on the head room.

What type of furnace are you thinking of going with? I have an Englander 28-3500 which is a smoke dragon, but a workhorse and it has served me well with good dry wood and good burning habits. Also, is that your FJ-40? If so, post some more pics in the Inglenook (off-topic discussion form a few lines down), I'd love to see them! By the squared off headlight bezel it looks to be a '79 or later? I had a '77 (also green) that died of rust and as a poor college kid I had to sell it to someone who parted it out :( I'd love to find another one someday but they get rarer and more expensive everyday... Anyway, back on topic, what the above poster said, just watch your clearances and install heat shields where needed, or even where not needed. I did a heat shield above mine even though I had the clearance with cement board just for peace of mind.

What type of furnace are you thinking of going with?
Something small. We can keep the house livable (my opinion) with just the woodstove. We might have used 25gal of heating oil last year, but at a significant non-financial cost --> Short story: Dear wife would prefer a solution with better heat distribution. Kuma, Tundra maybe? Don't think we want anything with a cat. We'd install the reversible heat pump and rework the air handler first, so no rush.

Also, is that your FJ-40?...They get rarer and more expensive everyday.

Actually it's a 1981 BJ42. LHD, 4 cylinder 3.4L Diesel (90hp), SWB. Right now it's basically a garage ornament. Full replacement aluminum tub. Still some odd bits to finish. Runs/drives but is a mix of Wow, looks great! and Well... that still needs some attention.
Watch your clearances and install heat shields where needed, or even where not needed. I did a heat shield above mine even though I had the clearance with cement board just for peace of mind.
Absolutely! Thank you.

DSCN1023.jpg

Reactions: brenndatomu
Status
Not open for further replies.