Another CL score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ggans

Oct 11, 2009
Michigan
Delivered for $15 gas money and he dumper it in my driveway, I'll heat my house for awhile with this , not sure what I'll end up with but I think it's worth the money.. what ya think? Can any one ID this wood? From the size of the big rounds It would be better to split them next year yes?

Attachments

• IMG_4070.jpg
    IMG_4070.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_4071.jpg
    IMG_4071.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 473
  • IMG_4072.jpg
    IMG_4072.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 447
Looks strange, some kind of conifer?

He said it was Chinese Elm , he thought,I never heard of that. he said it had small leaves. It was heavy but not to heavy.. I don't know thou, I just got it in the dark, pix taken in the dark ..

Hard to tell from the pics but could be mulberry , you will know when you go to split if it's green inside = mulberry and if it's stringy doesnt want to pull apart it's Elm both are decent the elm is more a pita to split ...... use a splitter !

Tony H said:
when you go to split if it's green inside = mulberry and if it's stringy doesnt want to pull apart it's Elm
The Mulberry I split last week had a strong gold color heartwood & turns dark tan after exposed to sunlight with very distinct line btwn heartwood (dark) & sapwood (light). Not saying that's what it is, just that the wood color varies some.

Yeah, looks just like the Chinese Elm I have in my back yard. Good luck splitting that crap!

How does it split? Maybe post a pic of that

Status
Not open for further replies.