1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

another computer thread

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by fbelec, Oct 23, 2013.

1. fbelec

fbelec Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern massachusetts
    has anyone out here ever replaced the bad caps on a dell motherboard? i have a gx620 ultra small. i guess the heat gets to them. thought it was my power supply but that check out with a green light and 12 volts. the computer does not turn on. when reading up on it lots of people having trouble with caps getting to hot and bulging or bursting. i have a number of bulging and a couple of burst ones. amazon has a bag of high temp caps for 10 bucks i'm thinking of giving it a go.

frank

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    You will need the proper size of caps for the replacements. A slight change in the inductance from a cap will make the motherboard go wonky.
  3. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Haven't done it. I have a collection of GX280s. When one fries the caps and the fan goes nuts I just strip the drives and memory and stick'em in another one. Bought five from the local school division for $25 apiece three years ago.

Down to my last two.
  4. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Ya have to be pretty good at soldering. You either have to have everything in place and at the ready and be real fast..or you have to do the proper use of heat sinks. Heat kills caps.
  5. Retired Guy

Retired Guy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Cape Vincent, NY
    I always "cheated" when replacing them, - - trim off leads closest to component and solder new part to the old leads.
    Jags likes this.
  6. fbelec

fbelec Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern massachusetts
    the way i was trained was to put the part in the board flip the board upside down and fast and not to much solder. to much solder makes a mess and takes more heat. and or use the clothes pin type heat sink
    Jags likes this.
  7. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Yep - that is one method. The way retired guy was explaining gives you a little extra wire to deal with, which can be nice if you have the room.
  8. Retired Guy

Retired Guy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Cape Vincent, NY
    Especially with multi layer boards.