Another Craigs List score (Update 8/25)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I scored again this morning. A guy had a tree company take down a maple, and he says ash, but it looks like cherry to me. It seems his neighbors talked the guys into leaving the wood, but they didn't have big enough saws to cut it. the guy is stuck with a pile of wood in his driveway, the tree guys get paid to take it away, and didn't, and I score! Not bad. Looks like it will end up at about 2 cords.
wood8-909.jpg

I got one full load in the old flatbed plus a small load in the wife's F250. I will go back tomorrow for the rest. This is gonna be most of my '10 -'11 wood. Nice to be ahead of the game for a change.

Very nice. I've been seeing a lot of those as well. All the small stuff has been cut by the neighbors and the homeowner is left with the 12"+ stuff. Scroungers delight. Almost makes me think a log lift for the dump trailer is in order.

I feel kinda bad for the guy. He wanted it all taken away. he even paid for it to be taken away. I told him he should call the tree Co and ask for some money back. They only did 1/2 the job, leaving all that stuff there. I hope he doesn't expect me to take every last bit, and the saw dust too! Maybe I'll ask him which neighbors wanted the wood and I'll drop the knotty unsplittable stuff on their lawn for him.
I made sure not to leave any small stuff when I left yesterday. I don't want the neighbors getting any of MY wood now. I blew out an exhaust gasket in the old truck on the way home with this stuff. I hope my parts guy has a new one so I can get back there quick. I don't want to use the wife's new ('00) truck, the flatbed is so much easier to load and unload.

Nice find! Tough to tell from that picture, but it kind of looks like red maple. Any leaves kicking around to ID it?

I know one of them is Maple, there are some leaves around. Not sure about the other. I'll look for more leaves today. I'm going there now. No parts yet for flatbed. I get to ride in luxurious comfort of the pickup today.

If the price was right, I'd take every last bit, and sweep up the sawdust pretty good too, just for good feelings. I'm sure it would brighten the poor guy's day. If there are some pieces you can't split or whatever, maybe you can give them to somebody else, or put them in your bonfire pile. The sawdust will rot away pretty fast in a compost pile or make some fire starters, or mulch, or........
Flatbedford said:
I feel kinda bad for the guy. He wanted it all taken away. he even paid for it to be taken away. I told him he should call the tree Co and ask for some money back. They only did 1/2 the job, leaving all that stuff there. I hope he doesn't expect me to take every last bit, and the saw dust too! Maybe I'll ask him which neighbors wanted the wood and I'll drop the knotty unsplittable stuff on their lawn for him.
I made sure not to leave any small stuff when I left yesterday. I don't want the neighbors getting any of MY wood now. I blew out an exhaust gasket in the old truck on the way home with this stuff. I hope my parts guy has a new one so I can get back there quick. I don't want to use the wife's new ('00) truck, the flatbed is so much easier to load and unload.

When I got there this morning all yesterday's saw dust was swept up. I took all but the stuff that I knew I could never split by hand. Stacked what I didn't take neatly, and swept all the new sawdust into a pile. It took two loads with the F250. It's about 95* today. I stacked the last piece at may house by about 1:30. That's enough for today.
A shot of leaves and bark. I think it's Cherry, but I know that what ever it is, it will burn some time during winter '10-'11.
fredrick2.jpg

Darn pickup fills up fast!
fredrick1.jpg

Some splitting to do now.
fredrick4.jpg

Yes, looks like cherry.

Thats big cherry. You sure its cherry?

The long stack is a mix of Maple and what we think is Cherry. That's what the big ones are.

It only took me about a month and a half, but it is all hand split and stacked. Measured out to about 2 1/4 cords. About 14' long x 5' or 5 1/2' high x 4' deep. This will be most of my '10/'11 wood. Some nice Cherry and Maple.
fredrickcss1.jpg

fredrickcss2.jpg

Nice haul and I agree those are cherry leaves , will make some nice burning next year and I like to save a little for the fireplace makes a nice aromatic fire during a holiday get together.

thats a good day

Status
Not open for further replies.