Another Craigslist Score--Two Cords of Free Black Locust!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonprophet

Minister of Fire
Jan 27, 2009
Oregon
Yep, gotta love CL!! I've scored 1 cord of seasoned Cherry, 2 cords of Walnut, and 3 cords of White Oak all in the past 3 months or so.......today I scored 2+ cords of Black Locust which isn't very common out here. I hear really good things about it as a firewood and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Trees came down in May and 90% of it was bucked up--all I had to do was back my truck and trailer up to the pile and load up........it's good to be the King!!! lol

I'd heard some horror stories about Locust being tough to split, but I brought my Fiskars SS with me to split the bigger, heavier rounds for ease of loading, and 1-3 whacks was all it took to split the big rounds quite nicely. It sure is a pretty wood, I'm looking forward to burning it in a year or two!

NP

Attachments

• B-Locust-(6-of-6).jpg
    B-Locust-(6-of-6).jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 671
  • B-Locust-(1-of-6).jpg
    B-Locust-(1-of-6).jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 681
Way to go. Had it been raining recently, or is that bark just REALLY dark?

Peace,
- Sequoia

Opps ... just saw that you're in Oregon ... if you're near the coast, of course it's been raining!

TreePapa said:
Way to go. Had it been raining recently, or is that bark just REALLY dark?

Peace,
- Sequoia

Rain? In Oregon??

NP

Locust is prolly the easiest wood I ever split.

Great score you will love the locust.

Hurricane said:
Locust is prolly the easiest wood I ever split.

Great score you will love the locust.

DITTO

The crotches on the larger diameter trees are a PITA to split. Otherwise, it splits great and burns very well.

I hate you :)

Dude, nice grab!!

Wow. When I look for wood on CL I might find cottonwood and poplar, or the ol' "free firewood, u cut, next to my house, must be licensed and bonded." You're not in the Portland area. I hope. Or else I'll be really jealous.

You have to really be on Craigslist, the good stuff disappears quick.

Yehaw!

Nice score! :)

SolarAndWood said:
You have to really be on Craigslist, the good stuff disappears quick.

Yeah, that's for sure! I work from home a lot so I get to check CL pretty regularly. Her post had been up for all of 5 mins when I saw it and called, so I was the first one. I told her to take the post down if she didn't want to get calls all day, which is true, but there was a little self-interest as well as I've had bad experiences in the past.

About a year ago I was the first to call about a 2/3 a cord of oak from some people that were moving and needed it gone TODAY. I told them I'd be there at 4pm to pick it up. Well, they kept the post on CL and some scumbag used their phone number to get their address, and he showed up at 2pm and took all the wood.......so now I always ask them to take the post down, I'm for real and I WILL be there. I'm happy to give them references from other people I've gotten wood from if they need it.

NP

I'm really liking this Black Locust--it has a really nice kind of "spicy sweet" smell to it. It kind of reminds me of Sasafras, I wonder if they're in the same family.......

It's splitting really well and it sure is a pretty, but very dense yellow grained wood.

I'm going over tomorrow to cut a few 8' lengths up, just got a new 24" b&c for the MS440 so I'm itching to cut something up!!

NP

madrone said:
Wow. When I look for wood on CL I might find cottonwood and poplar, or the ol' "free firewood, u cut, next to my house, must be licensed and bonded." You're not in the Portland area. I hope. Or else I'll be really jealous.

Don't worry Madrone, I'm in the Eugene/Corvallis area.........

NP

hold a piece under a black light and you will see some 'glowing' in the rings.

Status
Not open for further replies.