Another day, another dollar........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tfdchief said:
Red and Black are different species but very close and very hard to tell apart.

Yes. They often hybridize in the wild too. Oak Wilt has & is still hitting them hard.Between the 2 species its about 60% of what I cut every year.

Thistle said:
tfdchief said:

Yes. They often hybridize in the wild too. Oak Wilt has & is still hitting them hard.Between the 2 species its about 60% of what I cut every year.
I'm really worried about the "Oak Wilt". If I loose the two red oaks in my back yard, I will be sick. Some kind of fungus is getting our spruces and I have already lost three of those. I won't have anything left :-S

Oak wilt accounts for nearly 100% of the firewood I burn and sell.

tfdchief said:
Thistle said:
tfdchief said:

I'm really worried about the "Oak Wilt". If I loose the two red oaks in my back yard, I will be sick. Some kind of fungus is getting our spruces and I have already lost three of those. I won't have anything left :-S

I bet you would be sick over losing those trees. Sort of like one of our neighbors who had about a dozen ash trees in his yard. Now he has about a dozen stumps because the ash borer got all of them. He has a maple yet but it is pretty sick and I thought he should have cut it several years ago. Such a shame.

quads said:

quads, I'm wondering if that is what is starting to hit our pin oaks. I've cut 3 dead ones now and before that I don't remember the last time I saw a pin oak die. They seem to last a long, long time.

Backwoods Savage said:
quads said:

quads, I'm wondering if that is what is starting to hit our pin oaks. I've cut 3 dead ones now and before that I don't remember the last time I saw a pin oak die. They seem to last a long, long time.
You guys cut it out. I have a pin oak too! That pretty well takes care of ALL my trees. Yikes :ahhh:

tfdchief said:
Backwoods Savage said:
quads said:

You guys cut it out. I have a pin oak too! That pretty well takes care of ALL my trees. Yikes :ahhh:
I have never seen a pin oak, to my knowledge, but if it is related to the red/black oak, then that's a good bet oak wilt is what kills them. Once it starts, there isn't much stopping it. Although we didn't lose a single one to oak wilt last summer, so I am wondering if me keeping the dead ones cleaned up is helping to control it's spread? Oak wilt kind of kills in a circle, starts in one spot and spreads all directions from there. I have seen places in the Necedah Wildlife Refuge where oak wilt killed big circles of 20 acres or so.

Pin oak is indeed a red oak. It is quite a bit like red oak but it would be a difficult task to count all the limbs! In addition, the bottom limbs tend to point to the ground and they will all die. When they die, they cut super hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.