Another Harman thread - P61A or P 68 for 2700SF (2500SF on 1st floor)?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, at the back of the stove it's reading returning air to the convection process. FWIW, you also can cut the probe wire and add on some thermostat wire and run it into the next room or there abouts. I think Harman allows 25 ft or so . Honestly I have not needed to do that. But if you mount it too low that isn't so hot either. Cool air returns along the floor, I've found that 3-4 ft off the floor is a good place behind the stove. There are several of us who do this in the forum, some not so active these days I might add. In fact I believe Tony does the same as I do.

"And incidentally, the stove will only feed at 3.5 when it calls for it, it's not a fixed setting ( I hate getting into this yet again but almost all Harman users end up running their stoves after all is said and done someplace between 3 and 4 or 4.5 nuff said, meanwhile they just deceive themselves into thinking they are saving pellets or some other notion)" .

Actually, you don't have to cut the temp probe wire to run it on a thermostat. I have my P43 on a thermostat so that it keeps a room in the middle of the house a certain temp. If you ever want directions on setting that up, let me know and I'll help as best as I can.

The P61 is run on auto/room temp, using the probe and I have the probe straight out from the side of the stove and about waist high. Of course as long as the probe isn't on a cold wall or floor (like my basement), or a hot chimney (or next to the kitchen stove), you can just adjust the temp dial to get the warmth you want - regardless of whether that is at 60 or 80 to keep the room at 72 (for example). Argh, I've probably muddied the waters right there.

I run both stoves on room temp / auto until the deep freeze arrives in late January/Feb. Then I switch over to stove temp. but htat is a whole different story, and not one you need to worry about right now.

Sounds like you're trying to run it in constant burn in this relatively mild weather. I run in room temp auto and let the stove come on and off at will. And I set the temp on the dial to the temp I want the house to be and that is what happens 24/7, this time of year or in mid Jan. My room probe is taped to the back and high up on the hopper with the probe sticking out the side a couple of inches or so. I have the dial set at 72, the dining room next room over from the stove is 72 right now and the stove is shutting itself down. Later this afternoon it will relight itself to maintain 72. Feed rate for these pellets is 3.5 and probably will remain there all winter.. And incidentally, the stove will only feed at 3.5 when it calls for it, it's not a fixed setting ( I hate getting into this yet again but almost all Harman users end up running their stoves after all is said and done someplace between 3 and 4 or 4.5 nuff said, meanwhile they just deceive themselves into thinking they are saving pellets or some other notion) .
As Alternateheat stated, some of us have our probe peaking out a bit from the top of the hopper. works best I think if your probe will
be close to the stove.. Ductape will hold it there as the hopper is not hot or warm.
IMG_3375.JPG

Reactions: bogieb
As Alternateheat stated, some of us have our probe peaking out a bit from the top of the hopper. works best I think if your probe will
be close to the stove.. Ductape will hold it there as the hopper is not hot or warm.View attachment 186735
looks like the coiled up wire is sitting on the Exhaust pipe but it's just the camera angle.

So I clearly made a mistake the first 2 days running the P68 nonstop.....I mean it heated the hell out of the house but didn't need that in 40 degree weather.

The placement of the temp sensor is something I am working on. Still feel like it should be longer but oh well.

NEVER buying Green Supreme again....$hit pellet compared to other brands I've burned.

Thanks to you all I have feed rate at 3-3.5 with P68 on room temp setting of between 60-70 depending on warmth factor the wife, kids and pets want lol.

Overall, I am finding I am enjoying the pellet lifestyle a lot more than my wood stoves of years past. What a superb investment for anyone living in winter weather for a good period of time.

Reactions: bags and bogieb
I've burned Green Supreme, to me they are fine for these shoulder season burns where you don't need a lot of heat. Mid winter is another matter, there are much better choices out there for when you really need some heat.

Just try coiling up the room temp probe cord and tape it to the back of the hopper, let the probe stick out to the side a little. I think you will find it to work remarkably well there, even if it seems to defy logic. If not ( unlikely), as mentioned before , you can add on to the cord.

Or you can do this and mess with the temp by thermostat :cool:

Thermostat wired to P43-close.jpg

Reactions: alternativeheat
I've burned Green Supreme, to me they are fine for these shoulder season burns where you don't need a lot of heat. Mid winter is another matter, there are much better choices out there for when you really need some heat.

Just try coiling up the room temp probe cord and tape it to the back of the hopper, let the probe stick out to the side a little. I think you will find it to work remarkably well there, even if it seems to defy logic. If not ( unlikely), as mentioned before , you can add on to the cord.

Yup, I've got to try that tonight.

I also strangely enough love the pellets dropping into auger sound........I now equate that noise to heat lol.

Yup, I've got to try that tonight.

I also strangely enough love the pellets dropping into auger sound........I now equate that noise to heat lol.

I too love the clink of pellets dropping. And once you get used to it, the blower is white noise for sleeping.

Reactions: Bontchimuz
You guys are weird ! I suppose the tinkle is an indication the stove is working right and someone can take comfort in that..

Status
Not open for further replies.