Another hello to keep in touch.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillsWS

Feeling the Heat
Dec 20, 2011
U.P. Michigan
Still plugging away at my install. Some of you will remember that I did decide to go with an inside chimney install. This is a house that has never had a wood stove or chimney. It has been tedious, cutting through 3 ceilings, two floors and one chase top, and having to cut one floor joist and reframe for strength. I have a new BK Princess standing by waiting for completion of the hearth and Class A install. However (it seems there is always a however with me) I can't get the Woodstocks out of my head. I was disappointed when I realized the Progress, Palladain and Keystone all have 7" flues. Then I discovered that the Fireview has a 6" flue. Now I am considering adding a second layer of Durarock Nex Gen to my hearth before my tile install to meet the .8 R requirment of the Fireview. "Just in case" the BK doesn't work out. Seeing the fire was one of the reasons I wanted a wood stove and when I went to the dealers the glass on their BK was black. He said to me "these are heaters not fireplaces, expect black glass." So, if after a couple of seasons I am not happy with the BK, I will be able to switch to a Fireview. Thanks for following along. I'll post again soon with pics.

"Just in case" the BK doesn't work out. Seeing the fire was one of the reasons I wanted a wood stove and when I went to the dealers the glass on their BK was black. He said to me "these are heaters not fireplaces, expect black glass." So, if after a couple of seasons I am not happy with the BK, I will be able to switch to a Fireview.

BOO! You will be happy do not worry about it. It's a basement install it will burn plenty with flames. Here is a picture(crappy cell picture) I took the other night which is hopefully the last of the season. This is what my glass looks like after burning on low all spring. I think I cleaned it in February or so. I burn mine hot for 20-30 minutes to clean up the glass and it also helps keep it clean once it's on low. The sides are a little nasty and the bottom corners but you can easily see through it. A wipe with a damp cloth would remove all the fly ash in the main viewing area but I never bother.

Attachments

• Another hello to keep in touch.
    0430122259a.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 122
I think those Woodstock stoves are approved for 6" flues, with a change in hearth requirements. Don't know if it's in the manuals or not. If not, call Woodstock.

And yes, my glass is nasty black. My chimney is at the minimum for height. You should have better luck with a much taller flue.

The Progress is a 6" flue, not a 7".

Does anyone actually use a 7" liner on the Keystones and Palladains? I don't recall one post with someone saying they use the 7" liner.

I would add some extra durock to the hearth just in case. In fact I might try to find the upper limit of hearth requirements for common stoves and build to that. I would like to have flexibility to choose a different stove in the future, even though I bet I would end up keeping the first stove for a long time unless the stove was absolutely terrible.

Bill, we've been wondering how you are progressing on the chimney. Good to see you posting again.

Bill, we've been wondering how you are progressing on the chimney. Good to see you posting again.
Thanks Dennis. You know how it is to work in your spare time. Slow progress. A few weeks ago on top, tonight on the bottom. Next is tiling the hearth and finishing the class A install.

Status
Not open for further replies.