another how do dry this wood quicker thead

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyny

Feeling the Heat
Nov 16, 2007
upstate ny
I have 4 sliding glass door panels i am thinking about putting on top of the wood pile instead of the old black tar paper. I think it may drive up the temps directed into the wood pile quite a bit. The only problem I see is on windy days like today, the panels may fly across the yard like the tar paper did today. definitly not as easy to clean up. Anyone try this?

Door panels should be tempered glass, which is quite hard to break- you would have to throw a piece of firewood really hard to break it, unless you hit it on the edge with something hard, then it shatters into thousands of pieces.

I've never tried it with wood but the panes that are covering plants took a few hops the other day with no damage done. They would have smashed if they hit a T post or another piece of glass on the edge.

I doubt it would speed up the drying that much. There's just so much water in green wood that air movement is more important for most of the drying cycle. Plus the benefit would only be the top couple of layers of wood.

On the other hand those 4 panels, if double pane, could be split and used as 24' of the south and/or west wall of a wood shed that was sealed up to act as a solar kiln.

I also do not think it would hurry up the drying. Wind is what you really need for that.

At night you may produce rain from condensation. Fastest in my area is loose stack, facing South, Cover in the Fall as soon as 1st leaves drop.

May be more trouble that they are worth.

I would keep cutting til your 3 years ahead then slow down.

Maybe just get a bunch of magnifying glasses or a big fresnel lense and really heat things up!

Attachments

• NASAMagnifyingGLass.jpg
    NASAMagnifyingGLass.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 443
Smokinjay has the right answer. I was truckbed to stove the first Winter. Finished this winter 2 years ahead.

There are solar firewood dryers but as others have stated more hassle than its worth unless you are i.n dire need of dry wood

The sliding glass door panels I'm envisioning are rather damned heavy and are made of tempered glass which shatter into much safer small pieces rather than knife-shards.
Only reason I can think of for not using them is something falling on them and having to clean up the mess.
Or falling from their own weight- and having to clean up the mess.

If its any help, my parents cut a maple, I cut and stacked the wood up in the front of the yard. Come fall I grabbed a 5 gallon bucket of the wood to burn in the firepit. My wife put the left overs in the greenhouse. That stuff was feather light after winter. The stuff outside was just drying.

I would just look for some ash or maple if your that worried about being dry by winter. Save the good stuff and wait another year...

Status
Not open for further replies.