Another how hot is too hot question...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there is a lot of questions on here about this but I need some piece of mind and info on my specific stove from all of you guys.

I have a quadrafire 4300 that is a year old. I have some really seasoned wood, cherry, red oak, maple, etc. I have a stove top temp gauge directly in front of my stove pipe in the middle of my stove.

When I reload the stove for a long burn I pack the box to the brim and get it up to 400 or so then close it all down. It will sometimes hit 800 for a half hour or so while the secondary burn is ripping. Is this too hot? I dont think I have bad gaskets and I dont have an ash tray. I can easily go 12+ hours before I need to reload the stove so I am getting nice long burns, but it just spikes pretty high some times.

If it were mine, I wouldn't want to be hitting 800 every day. For every day use I try and keep mine below 700.

But, the thing isn't going to melt. The hotter it is run simply adds more stress and can shorten the life due to the development of a crack or warped parts.

pen

Larger splits and less air space between them with a N/S load will hold it down some.

Every fire in every stove has heat spikes..............

that said, ........damper settings that are in the "sweet spot" that allow flame, but don't allow overburn, are helpful to find. May take you a few tries, but your spikes will not be as severe, and you won't run the risk of a smoldering fire.

Class A pipe is safety rated for 900ºF and I try and not let it exceed that, at any time. Having said that however, I typically see "cruising temps" of 650 - 700ºF daily, both from the flue pipe, as well as the stove.

-Soupy1957

soupy1957 said:
Class 6 pipe is safety rated for 900ºF and I try and not let it exceed that, at any time.

-Soupy1957

Soupy, Is it class A, 6 inch pipe you are referring to? I'm not familiar with class 6 pipe. If it was class A, then where's the 900 come from? I've always found the ratings to be 1000

pen

Pen: I dunno, maybe I'm just getting old........I changed it in my posting.............as for the the 900ºF statement, it was told to me in here, by someone more knowledgeable than I, and I've used it ever since as a guideline for my burning temps.

-Soupy1957

Status
Not open for further replies.