Another hydraulic oil question/confirmation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
Hi all,
I've done reading, and I think I've made the right choice, but:

I have that Yard Machines splitter, and it's a bit low on hydraulic fluid. The manual says it came filed with Shell Tellus 32, which nobody in my area sells. Tonight I bought TSC's 46 hydraulic fluid, which I believe is a bit thicker. So: 1. Am I right in thinking I can just add it to the Shell? 2. Since I split exclusively in spring, summer, fall, will the 46 be ok?

Thanks! Got a 30" maple to split tomorrow.

S

How much are you adding? if it's less than 10% of the total, you'll be fine. Won't change a thing. I'd prefer to keep it all the same but in a pinch you do what must be done.

Hey,
Ended up only needing a quart or so--I'll be changing the filter in spring, so I'll throw in more to make it even!

S

Status
Not open for further replies.