Another inline fan question - fire damper and fan quality/brand reccomendations?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mrbreeze742

Dec 21, 2018
Maryland
Hi all,
I set up an inine fan with 8" insulated flexible duct from ceiling over woodstove, throigh attic space and through the wall to second story hallway. So far its working, but it needs a little more. Im using a 6" fan I had lying around with reducers on the duct, sucking hot air ( I know, I know ;)) from ceiling over stove blowing into hallway. I want to upgrade to a proper 8" fan and will also try reversing the direction. Question is what fan to get? My local HVAC Supply hosue has a basic style 8"supco fan in stock for $40. I'm also seeing the radon mitigation style fans with higher CFM's in the $100-150 range. Any thoguhts on what level price/quality fan I should go with?

Second, is a fire damper required or reccomended in this set up? I feel like fire would burn through flexible duct before being able to use it as a conduit to another area of house

Last edited: