Another install ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kartracer

Hearth Supporter
Jan 5, 2009
Vale NC
Finally,got the inlaws moved in today.I've posted before about their situation.The stove is going into the basement.It will go thru a clay thimble into a masonary chimney that is about 8 inches in diameter.I got on top of the house today and checked it out.The sweep said it was fine to burn,but there are several fine cracks in the tile.Can I run a flexible liner down the chimney and thru the thimble?There is not room at the bottom of the chimney for a tee as it is a dead end-there may be 2 inches below the thimble.If I can run the liner thru the thimble-it's 6 1/4 inches inner diameter,how would I connect the stove pipe to it and is this a kosher set up?

I did it with an eight inch thimble but I never would have made it through there if it had just been just six and a quarter.

Could I bust the thimble out?It is clay and goes thru a cement wall.I don't know how close the framing is.I assume from the design he had a wood burning stove in mind though when he built the house.BB did you insulate yours?The chimney is on the outside of the house but in the carport which really isn't any warmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.