Martin sb5400 prefab wanting to install hearthstone on hearth. Need help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fritzman559

Oct 16, 2023
Maine
Is it possible to install a small hearthstone stove on the hearth in front of a prefab firebox, particularly a martin sb5400 or does it all need to be replaced? Firebox is surrounded by field stone chimney must be 25 ft tall. I'd say it's at least 10 inches in diameter inside. If it is possible to install a liner and use a tee to clean out and bump stove out onto hearth would it be better to use rigid liner pipe like duraliner or a flexible liner with insulation or a class a chimney inside of the current one? Sorry for such run on sentences.. thank you in advance. First time poster

16975000340609063258274542604102.jpg 20231016_172212.jpg

There's this caveat in the manual:
This fireplace and chimney should not be used for venting a wood or coal burning heater or fireplace insert.
Warning: Do not install a separate solid fuel insert or gas fireplace insert into this fireplace and chimney
system without written authorization

I read this as the chimney system can't be used to vent a wood stove because it is air-cooled and not rated for wood stove flue temps. However, it would seem that an insulated 6" liner run up the 11" ZC chimney would be ok. It does not modify the original chimney. However, the lintel for the fireplace may be too low for a rear-vented stove. In that case either the hearth would need to be lowered or the stove placed on a hearth pad in front of the current hearth.

I'm sure there will be other thoughts.

Reactions: Fritzman559
The hearth is 19" and firebox opening is 28" tall lead me to thinking the castleton from hearthstone would fit but I saw in the manual what you pointed out and it now has me questioning everything

If you can get Martin's blessings in writing then it could work.