Another New Jotul 550 Install With Pictures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A new poster here and I first wanted to thank those who posted information they have found about the Jotul 550. I have searched and read many threads.
I had The 550 installed yesterday and have burned 2 small fires so far the last one bringing it up to 220 degrees. I have a non contact ir thermometer to read surface temps of 1" wide at 11" distance and there are large temp differences on the stove depending on where you read. The hottest spot on the front of the stove I can find is the cast iron strip on each side of the door. While that strip was 220 degrees, the spot over the door where you could fit a thermometer was around 130 degrees. As the temps changed that spot over the door was consistently 100 degrees cooler. The metal is thicker there and also that is where the air is drawn in for the primary keeping it cooler.
Seems like the best bet for temp reeding with these inserts may be the point and shoot ir thermometer. It is also a great tool to see how different rooms are heating.

Jotul Rockland 550

Woodheat-

My IR arrived yesterday and I have been experimenting with it today. I found same difference you did. If you put the therm. on the door, at the top and in the middle, they are pretty close to that space on the sides of the door.

Another place I 'shot' at was the collar where the ss liner attaches to the box. You can see it by looking through the opening above the door where the blower heat exits the unit.

Do you happen to know how hot the flue temp. should be to keep the liner as clean as possible? I know I've seen info. here somewhere but now that I need it I can't remember where I found it. :p

Would like to see pics. of your insert here too. Not many of us 550ers around here. Am anxious to hear how you are doing as you get into your 'real' burns. :coolsmile:

The Jotul instructions do not say anything about the temps, but I did find in a boof for a Moroso stove the average temp 20cm above the stove on the flu is around 550 degrees not to exceed 750. I don't know it that goes the same for this stove.
I will let you know how it goes once I really get it toasting. I am going to light it tonight and bring it up to 300 degrees.
I'll post some pics soon

Jotul 550 Rockland

Status
Not open for further replies.