Another NEWB question: Stuck damper?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The damper in the flue (flu?) is weighted such that when you "tilt" the lever, it's either completely closed or completely open.

The metal plate that is the damper is not completely centered within the flu and when I dry fitted the double-wall stove pipe, it interferes with the damper being able to close completely or open completely. I can, as a result, install the pipe with the damper open, and I can even close the damper, but if I use too much force closing the damper, it becomes wedged beneath the inner lining of the pipe preventing me from opening it until I lift up on the pipe---an action I will not be able to perform when the pipe is permanently affixed.

My plan is to apply a stopper (externally) to prevent the damper from being closed too far, thereby avoiding its getting wedged under the pipe.

My question is, what is the actual purpose of this damper and am I likely to have to use it routinely, or should I just expect that it is to be left open all the time. Am I correct in assuming that the damper is just there to snuff out a fire in the presence of an emergency?

The damper is to stop cold air from entering the room when there is no fire. For the installation, the damper should be permanently afixed open with a bolt in the handle, a stop added or it should be removed. When a liner is installed, the top cap (on top of the chimney) is sealed to the clay tile with a thick bead of silicone. That helps prevent the cold air from entering the chimney.

I'm curious about the liner being used here. Is this a liner or actual, double-wall connector pipe?

BeGreen said:
The damper is to stop cold air from entering the room when there is no fire. For the installation, the damper should be permanently afixed open with a bolt in the handle, a stop added or it should be removed. When a liner is installed, the top cap (on top of the chimney) is sealed to the clay tile with a thick bead of silicone. That helps prevent the cold air from entering the chimney.

I'm curious about the liner being used here. Is this a liner or actual, double-wall connector pipe?

Please forgive my use of the wrong terminology in referring to the inner layer of the double wall stove pipe. I do not see a way to remove the damper without breaking welds. As per your recommendation, I will make a stop to ensure it remains open.

Thank you for your help and for your patience with a newbie.

That's why we're here. We want you to be warm and burning safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.