Another newbie - stymied by ash in the house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

solochris

Feb 21, 2023
Washington
Hi - I'm new to the forum, with a question that didn't seem to fit elsewhere. I bought a great little 800sf cabin from my landlord, in the mountains of WA state. Mostly heated by a Jotul wood stove, which warms the place well. It's freestanding, with about a 10', segmented stovepipe up through the roof. But there's one issue: a fine layer of ash all over the house. It's so persistent I have to run an air purifier full blast, all the time. Which helps. Nonetheless, every flat surface up to about 7' in height has gray dust on it. THree's enough of it, that it seems difficult to believe that it comes from occasionally opening the door to (carefully) add a log. And I don't see any obvious leaks, to my untrained eye. Needless to say, I don't love the idea of breathing this stuff in, nonstop -- not to mention that the house is dusty all the time. Got any ideas where it's coming from -- and how to fix it? Thanks for any advice.

How often are you emptying ashes? How do you do it? This is large source of indoor ash.

I've run that stove for years and there has been zero ash in the room unless I am sloppy with it and then it's only on the hearth. The source may be elsewhere. If the stove is not used at all, does the ash still show up? Are there any fans running besides the air cleaner?

What is the flue system like on the stove? Is the stovepipe in good condition with no rusting? Does it connect to a proper chimney system? Pictures are welcome.

It FEELS to (uneducated) me like there is a leak somewhere. No fine ash to speak of, that I can tell, when the stove is not running -- in late spring, etc. Only fan running in the house is the air cleaner. Stove pipe seems in good condition... but there are about 8 joints in it (it bends twice, and it's in a bunch of segments). It does not enter a 'traditional masonry chimney but is freestanding and instead enters a silver 'outer' tube about 9 feet off the deck which immediately goes through the roof. (1 story house).

Here are a few photos of the setup. Other than the micro-ash everywhere it's a bangin' little stove (Jotul 400?). I'm grateful for any thoughts. I'm a lazy bachelor and am weary of having to wipe the house down about every 3 days--much less worrying about what I'm breathing. (Sorry I dunno why it's posting them sideways...)

tempImagetZbx6g.png tempImageEBvMjS.png tempImagemKKO2V.png tempImagem1I2DK.png

What happens if you don't use the stove AND don't use the fan? Still ash? Localized where?
Are you sure it's ash and not something else?

I wonder if the clearances to the back of the stove are met... If not, that could be dangerous. (and taking out the initial jog migh be beneficial).

I got nothing on the ash problem, but good lord that ain't much clearance between the stove and wall..

The picture makes it look like the stove is practically touching the wall, hopefully it's just an illusion.

I see I misread post 5.

Take a flashlight and check for leaks between cast iron panels.
Although I admit that any leak in the stove should suck in air, not expel ash, because of pressure differences.
Given that concept, though, I would say any leak that releases ash should be higher rather than lower.

Do you open the doors slowly? Doing it fast can create "dust devils" of ashes inside a nearly empty firebox. Especially if you don't empty ashes often.

Are you using a humidifier? (Combined with hard water those can produce deposits around the room that look like ashes, and are in fact mineral compounds as well.)

Last edited:
I got nothing on the ash problem, but good lord that ain't much clearance between the stove and wall..
The picture makes it look like the stove is practically touching the wall, hopefully it's just an illusion.
It still looks close. I am not sure if this is an F3 or an F3CB, but the F3CB's rear clearance is 25" for an unprotected surface and that sheet behind it is not valid protection. If the stove has the rear heat shield mounted on it and the stovepipe is double wall then it needs 10" clearance behind it. If no heat shield, the elbows should be removed and a straight telescoping section should connect to the stove.

I used to get lots of ash/dust with my old stove (20 yr old Century). Then I paid no attention to the moisture of the wood that I used. Now I have a BK and have no ash but burn only very dry wood. FWIW, I think that the ash was more from the moist wood than the stove. Same flue.

I think this is an F3CB. Does the stove have a stainless secondary combustion baffle or just a plan cast iron baffle?

One thing to check is to be sure the ash pan door gasket is in good shape. It may be leaking. Also, remove the ashpan and clean out the ashpan cavity well, especially at the back. This may take a poker if there is hard ash that has become impacted behind the ashpan.

Last edited:
The picture with the flue off sets isn't that flue pipe backwards crimp end going up instead down?

Reactions: cahaak
I am thinking the back of the stove is about 4" off the wall. That is too close. I would remove the offset and replace it with a straight pipe if the stove has the rear heat shield mounted on the back.

Reactions: cahaak
Pull the stove forward so you can run a straight shot of black pipe. Also, the transition to the insulated ss double wall looks suspect. You shouldn't be getting any ash.

I think I see the problem; With the pipe running horizontal and the stove lying on its back, your setup is not going to draft well enough to contain the ash dust when you open the door to load. And with the door opening is facing upward it is much easier for dust to escape. ;)
Seriously, the only thing that come to mind is the most common reason for dust in the room--Not being careful enough when removing ash from the stove, or when loading (I know you said you are careful when loading.)
Weak draft makes it harder to remove ash cleanly, so I have a couple questions;
How tall is the stack, from the top of the stove to the top of the chimney? These stoves are a bit picky about draft, from my understanding. If you put several small, dry branches in the box and get them burning, can you get a roaring fire when you open the air all the way? (You never want a roaring fire in your stove for very long, at any time, BTW.)
Does the stove put off a lot of heat?
Any problem with smoke rolling out into the room if you were to open the door halfway through a full load, or are you just throwing a few splits in at a time instead of loading full?
What kind of wood are you burning? Does it pop sometimes when you have the door open? That could be stirring up dust which could then get into the room with weak draft.
Do you choose a time when draft is at its peak to empty ashes? That would be when the stove is hot, some coals still remaining, and the outside temp is cold.
Describe in detail your method of removing ash and getting it out of the house.
I have a grate in the floor of my stove so that ash falls directly into the pan when stirred with a poker. Does your stove have the same setup?
There should be a metal tag on the back of the stove with the model number on it. You might need a mirror to see it, with the stove that close to the wall. _g
Frankly, I would not even burn that stove until the clearance-to-combustibles requirements set forth in the manual by Jotul can be met.

Last edited:
It wouldn’t be a leak while the stove is running because the physics of it all is actually a vacuum created going from the stove pipe to the outside.
Ash usually flys out a little when loading or cleaning, loading if you have weaker draft of a hot bed of coals.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Ash usually flys out a little when loading or cleaning
Right. In the pics, you can see some ash sitting on the ash lip of the stove. He said he doesn't remove ash as often as he probably should, so maybe some of it falls out when he opens the door, and that ends up floating around the room..

Reactions: stoveliker
Right. In the pics, you can see some ash sitting on the ash lip of the stove. He said he doesn't remove ash as often as he probably should, so maybe some of it falls out when he opens the door, and that ends up floating around the room..
Yeah, the ash sitting on the lip of the stove . Any air movement will stir that up and disperse into the room. Get yourself an ash vacuum and tidy that up.