another pellet storage thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hinmo24t

Feb 12, 2024
MA
been reading and lots of info out there
we have our harman p43 installed tomorrow, 800sq ft home for now (roof addition in future)
and finished half basement (has its own elec baseboard for room, forced hot water oil cast iron
in house)

i am going to get a ton + for starters, and was wondering if anyone leaves pallet ton in shipping plastic
and tarp outside? otherwise i was going to stack half my bulkhead, a single stack in a few corners of garage
and maybe get a small shed for patio eventually

then again on a side of garage towards woodline thought about just keeping a few tons outside (very wet area,
leafs, compost, shade side, etc)

No problem storing outside covered with a tarp
The pallet keeps it off the ground and there is a
waterproof paper between the pallet and the pellets
My friend has been storing his 3 ton of pellets outside
for the last 20 years.

thank you

yeah i heard of the prepay and store thing, might actually try that
im lucky to have this place 30 mins from me
https://www.mapellet.com/ wonder if they store prepay

have a friend who owns farmshop but just Good and Sons $$ 8.1 a bag
(i think im going to grab 25 for cold day, high end bags)

Is that 8.10/bag the ton price? Some will honor ton price for half a ton (25 bags).

yes except they dont deliver pallets, but anything over 10 bags is reduced from 8.49 to 8.1
heard its a good pellet too, ill get a half ton as my premiums probably

the Maine or Green supremes as my go to

for our house and harman setup with OAK im going to play with room temp mode around 70 (seems actual will always be a few degrees below this setting, and we keep the house at 65ish thru the winter) and feed rate at 3-4 (probably 3 for our house) OR constant mode, down on level 1 or 2, and pellet feed 3
i plan on using auto ignite but then immediate switching to manual so in either mode itll go to a maintenance burn at lowest (save igniter, and noises)

Ouch, at 8.10/bag I will let the heat pump run. I thought it was bad paying 6.50/bag for lignetics.
yeah, the green supreme are on sale sub $7 and the maine brand ones are low $7s

worlds a mess $$

i dont mind paying the $8.1 for what ive heard are really good (and sons)

Storing outside is fine. I suggest you have the tons placed on top of an empty pallet to get them further away from the ground. The first picture is of 11 tons (which obviously you can't see all of them) in the yard spring of 2016 (fire sale).

The second pic is of 6 tons in the yard. I covered in an extra layer of plastic and used the pallet wrap from Staples keep the plastic from blowing of. I think just before winter I put a tarp over for extra protection (with a 1/2 deflated basketball in the middle to keep from puddling).

pellets in yard.jpg

6 tons of pellets wrapped in yard.jpg

Reactions: hinmo24t
Oh yeah, here is 4 tons before I moved them beside the shed (yes, moved 1 bag at a time). These four tons are part of that second picture in my above post

4 tons Infernos outside.jpg

Reactions: hinmo24t
Oh yeah, here is 4 tons before I moved them beside the shed (yes, moved 1 bag at a time). These four tons are part of that second picture in my above post
thanks for sharing. ive thought about the moving 1 bag at a time but am thankful for the workout and ability lol

well im going to consider next to my garage since it seems people do have good results with outside storage. and i learned about the extra wrap you used and tarps and anti puddle...then i will stash what ill be using next in the other spots, basement corner, under stairs in basement, corner of garage, and bulkhead.

hey do they not recomend keeping bags close to Dryer? couple feet away...how about under basement stairs, the hot water boiler and oil burner are probably a few feet away from the stairs

thanks

thanks for sharing. ive thought about the moving 1 bag at a time but am thankful for the workout and ability lol

well im going to consider next to my garage since it seems people do have good results with outside storage. and i learned about the extra wrap you used and tarps and anti puddle...then i will stash what ill be using next in the other spots, basement corner, under stairs in basement, corner of garage, and bulkhead.

hey do they not recomend keeping bags close to Dryer? couple feet away...how about under basement stairs, the hot water boiler and oil burner are probably a few feet away from the stairs

thanks

Everything dropped outside is moved one bag at a time - at one point I had 11 tons outside. I think my record was moving 4 tons to my garage in one day. That actually works out to be twice the lifting since I would unstack and drop into my 4-wheel barrow, pull it 40' or so to the garage, then lift to stack. And then for added fun, I would later move it into the basement for a 3rd chance at exercise.

I would not store them too close to the dryer or boiler. Check your owners manuals to see what the clearances should be. Even if the boiler is zero clearance, I would think a couple of feet away is okay, but always follow mfg recommendations. You can find almost any manual online.