1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Another Perspective on This Amazing Fuel We Call Wood

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by jadm, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jadm

jadm New Member

Loc:
    colorado
    A non wood burning friend sent me the following:

'One winter evening, when the innovative engineer R. Buckminster Fuller was drinking tea by the fireplace of Professor Hugh Kenner, three-year-old Lisa Kenner prolonged her bedtime farewell with the question: "Bucky, why is the fire hot?"

Kenner writes: Some instinct told Lisa that he was the man to ask.

His answer, as he took her on his lap, began, like most of his answer, some distance away from the question.

"You remember, darling, when the tree was growing in the sunlight?"

On arms arms like upgroping branches, his hands became clusters of leaves as he described their collecting the sunlight, processing its energies into sugars, drawing from them down into a stocky trunk.

"Then men cut it down, and sawed it into logs. And what you see now" -----he pointed to the crackling hearth ----"is sunlight, unwinding from the log."

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    I really like that. Reminds me of a story I used to read to my daughter at bedtime when she was very small. Something like Frederick the Field Mouse. Rick
  3. hensonconst1

hensonconst1 Member

Loc:
    Western KY
    that reminds me of a book i read my kids about a bolder at the top of a hill and it rolls down how you get the energy back in is to push it back up
  4. kenny chaos

kenny chaos Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Rochester,ny
    Reminds me of the story about the guy who chopped down the cherry tree.
    Very nice Perplexed.
  5. jebatty

jebatty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MN
    Our cultural perspective has almost everything to do with how we view, treat, conserve or abuse resources, and your story is a great example of setting a positive cultural image for young people as they form their views on nature and our resources. Thanks.
  6. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    That's a nice story perplexed and a good reminder of where our fuel and living comes from. I moved it to the Wood Shed so that it doesn't get dumped with the ashes.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.