Another possible newbie question, so bear with me...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigjim13

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2009
Central Vermont
Ok, I have a Harman P61A ( I should really create a signature so I don't have to open every thread with that) and am into my second season of burning. I try as much as possible to clean and maintain my stove as well as I can. I have gotten alot of great info about cleaning and troubleshooting off this site and thank you all. So, here is my question.

Last season I burned Premier pellets that I bought at TSC. If I remember correctly they are a hardwood pellet and from what I can remember and from being new at this, they seemed to burn pretty well. This year when pellet prices were high I found a decent deal on Maine Woods Pellets and have been burning them. I don't seem to have some of the other problems that people have mentioned but they do seem to put out more ash and dirty up the glass quicker.

The other thing I am noticing is a fair amount of soot or carbon (not sure what it is honestly) building up in my burnpot. I scrape it out about 2 times a week but I don't remember having this issue last season. Could this be from the pellet I am using? Is this common for a softwood pellet, or I guess it's a softwood/hardwood mix (about 80/20 I think)? Do I need to make some sort of adjustment to my stove other than scraping it out as much as I do? I guess what I am wondering is it normal to have soot or carbon building up in the burnpot?

Thanks!

I can't address it from a Harman standpoint but my St. Croix has been producing a little carbon in the burnpot this year... I had virtually none the last two years. Same brand of pellets... Uncle Jed's pine/spruce mix. But I've been running my stove a lot on #1 and #2... not now, of course, but when it was warmer.

Bigjim13 said:
.....Last season I burned Premier pellets that I bought at TSC. If I remember correctly they are a hardwood pellet and from what I can remember and from being new at this, they seemed to burn pretty well. .........
Not that it really matters, but I think the Premier you burned last year are softwood, being that they are from Quebec, but the bag only says "wood".

macman said:
Bigjim13 said:
.....Last season I burned Premier pellets that I bought at TSC. If I remember correctly they are a hardwood pellet and from what I can remember and from being new at this, they seemed to burn pretty well. .........
Not that it really matters, but I think the Premier you burned last year are softwood, being that they are from Quebec, but the bag only says "wood".

macman TSC sold a Hardwood Premier pellet last year. I am burning some now. Pick them up last spring on a close out. just FYI. I got photo's if you need them.

jtakeman said:
...macman TSC sold a Hardwood Premier pellet last year. I am burning some now. Pick them up last spring on a close out. just FYI. I got photo's if you need them.
Jay, I had no idea that Premier sold hardwood......maybe the ones I have now are hardwood??? I figured that since they were from Canada, then probably soft.

yes, if you can, post or PM me the pic of the bag so I can see if it's the same as mine. Thanks bud

macman said:
jtakeman said:
...macman TSC sold a Hardwood Premier pellet last year. I am burning some now. Pick them up last spring on a close out. just FYI. I got photo's if you need them.
Jay, I had no idea that Premier sold hardwood......maybe the ones I have now are hardwood??? I figured that since they were from Canada, then probably soft.

yes, if you can, post or PM me the pic of the bag so I can see if it's the same as mine. Thanks bud

You had me scratching my head for a moment there, LOL. I could have sworn they were hardwood. They were quite a colorful bag. Bright orange plames and purple and black in there somewhere. I actually liked those pellets and was a little disappointed I couldn't find them again this year. Now, knowing a little more about pellets I will be trying a few varieties in my stove this year to see what I get for results.

Anyway could that be the cause of the carbon/soot buildup? Or is it something else or just normal?

macman said:
jtakeman said:

Here you go macman. I am at work. I will get the info from the bag tonight for you. They were made in USA not Canada.

Attachments

• Premier pellet.jpg
    Premier pellet.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 257
That bag looks a little different than the ones I bought last season. Mine were in a white bag with purple background but other than that they look the same.

Bigjim13 said:
That bag looks a little different than the ones I bought last season. Mine were in a white bag with purple background but other than that they look the same.

My local TSC has the Premiers and they are in the purple bag. They sold me a ripped bag for $2.00 so I could try them, I can't remember if they were hard or soft? The one bag seemed to have decent heat.

macman,

Post a photo of your Premier bags. Sounds like they were burning the softwoods. Unless there were 3 different Premier's sold at TSC?

Status
Not open for further replies.