Another reversible furnace mod on woodchuck 526

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freeburn

Feeling the Heat
Jan 5, 2008
USA
Having seen some of the newer technology that is out there, I added some more firebrick to my 526 and attempted to make a secondary heat exchanger so the exhaust stays in the stove longer. Everything is completely reversible. Any suggestions?

Mods/additions
1. Added firebrick all the way to the top and covered the space between steel outer walls and secondary heat exchanger so that gasses travel from back to front and back through steel heat exchanger
2. Added deflector on door to cause secondary air to shoot across top of flames (hopefully to ignite more of those gases before they escape)

Sorry about the pics, I don't really know how to upload/embed the pics into the website. Hopefully, it works.

Here is some more of the same thing.

The last one is an attempt to get a pic of the top side of the firebox just inside the smoke flap. Had to fabricate/cobble that up too.

FYI: The firebrick is all black because I made one small fire the other night, not hot enough.

Attachments

• DSCN3062.JPG
    DSCN3062.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 326
  • DSCN3061.JPG
    DSCN3061.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 319
  • DSCN3067.JPG
    DSCN3067.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 306
Status
Not open for further replies.